Someone To Stay

One of the first things you learn in school is how to follow orders.

Do this, do that.

Don't do this, don't do that.

It's typically a structured environment that has very few grey areas. You're either right or wrong. There's wasn't exactly an in-between.

It doesn't take very long for you to realize that the world outside of school is not as black and white though.

It's like the whole world is grey.

It also doesn't take you very long to realize that there isn't always going to be someone telling you what to do and that you're going to have to make your own decisions.

"Why are you choosing to come?" I asked as Arizona and Callie watched me pack for our "trip" to LA.

As usual, I was the last one to have something done.

"What do you mean?" Callie looked up from her book.

I shrugged, "Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that you're coming but if I were in your shoes, just the thought of having to sit at a dinner table with my mother and her fiancé would be enough for me to back out of this."

"Is this your way of telling us that you don't want to go?" Arizona asked, "It's okay if it is..."

"No, no, no," I shook my head, "I'm going. I have to go. You guys don't though so I'm just wondering why you're voluntarily choosing to."

Arizona reached over the bed and grabbed my hand, causing me to stop packing and glance up at her.

"Summer, we meant it when we said that we weren't leaving you again," Arizona said softly, "We're coming."

Callie nodded in agreement, "We're always going to be here Summer."

"Even when the awkward silence engulfs everyone in its sight at the dinner table?" I raised an eyebrow.

Callie gave a small smile, "Will still be there."

A strange warmth swelled deep in my gut and I squirmed, the feeling eerily familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time.

What do I do now?

"Oh, okay..." I whispered, "I can work with that."

Arizona, who was still holding my hand, pulled me into a hug that I gladly accepted. It was easier to hide my reddening face in a hug.

"Now, you should probably finish packing," Arizona patted the space on the bed next to the suitcase, "We leave in the morning."

I nodded, "I know, I'm almost done...see."

Arizona chuckled, "You've been at this step for the past two hours and have said that you were almost done at least a dozen times."

"Well, I am almost done," I pouted, "I just haven't gotten to done yet...but that's why I said almost."

Callie laughed, "Fair enough, but you should pick up the pace a little because at this rate, Arizona and I will be in LA by the time you finish packing."

"Well, then you two can have lots of fun without me," I sighed, "You and your fast packing hands."

"Would you like some help?" Callie offered.

I shook my head and then smiled, "No, I'm almost done."

"Alright..." Arizona grinned, "But I want your suitcase packed and ready to go within the next half hour and then you have to get ready for bed."