Arms

alrighty folks! it's finally out! took forever, but it's done!
I'm thinking this might be the final chapter, I've got some ideas for an epilogue that might take place a little bit afterwards but I doubt they will ever make it down in words.

thank you to everyone who is reading this! your support has been so appreciated, words will never describe how thankful I am for you guys. it has been so much fun writing this story.

hope you enjoy probably-the-last-chapter-but-maybe-not-but-very-probably the last chapter of this story!

{~+~}

"I think you're right," Sam's voice rang through the phone's speaker. While she wasn't loud, her words stabbed through my ears and I sharply exhaled.

"What?"

   I could practically hear Sam smiling as she spoke through the phone.

"I think you're right," Sam repeated, "No...I know you're right."

   I would be lying if I said that it didn't hurt a little bit, knowing that she was letting me go so easily. I tried not to dwell on it though, it was only to my benefit.

"I love you, Summer, I do," Sam spoke after a beat, "But I'm not good for you and that was proven last year when you were living with me."

"I'm sorry about that...I wasn't helping matters," I thought back to how empty I felt during that time.

   Sam tsked, "There's no reason to apologize. We just know now that it doesn't work, and that's okay."

"So you're okay with it?" I asked, just to double-check.

   I could practically hear Sam's smile as she spoke again, "I am. You know, I was going to call them myself to bring this up but you beat me to it."

"I've been thinking about it for a while," I admitted and dropped my voice slightly, "While I was in the hospital, the night after I woke up after overdosing...they thought I was asleep and were talking."

"What did they say?" Sam inquired.

   Despite my protests and the fact that I was conscious, the doctors kept me hooked up to the monitors which resulted in the insistent beeping. Though I had been unconscious for a substantial amount of time, I was tired and the obnoxious sound that echoed continuously in my ear was preventing me from sleeping.

   Nevertheless, though, I told Callie and Arizona that I wanted to get some sleep and closed my eyes while I felt one of them tuck in the sheets of the hospital around my body. I felt a kiss be planted gently on my forehead and I smiled, though my eyes remained closed.

   My eyes still closed, the weight of the bed shifted underneath me and I knew that Callie and Arizona were half -lying down on the bed, half-standing on one foot. Their arms tangled around me and one of them was gently combing their fingers through my knotted hair.

   They moved away after a while, leaving me be. While I wanted to protest their departure, I didn't. I kept my mouth shut and focused on trying to sleep.

   As much as I wanted to sleep, sleep never came. Perhaps I could blame it on the beeping of the heart monitor, or maybe it was because I just couldn't sleep. Whatever the reason was, I was very much so awake. After about thirty minutes though, I could begin to feel my breath swallowing out but any kind of unconsciousness that I so welcomed vanished as soon as I heard Arizona speak up.

"I can't believe we almost lost her," She said quietly, "How did we not see this?"

   I could hear the rustling of someone's movement and though my eyes were shut, I'd be willing to bet that it was Callie getting up to move closer to Arizona. I could practically see it happening.