1.10 The Dark Mark - Part 7

{18th of August, 1994}

"No!" shrieked Winky, prostrating herself at Mr. Crouch's feet. "No, master! Not clothes, not clothes!"

It was pitiful to see the way Winky clutched at her tea towel as she sobbed over Mr. Crouch's feet.

"But she was frightened!" Cassiopeia burst out angrily, glaring at Mr. Crouch. "Your elf's scared of heights, and those wizards in masks were levitating people! You can't blame her for wanting to get out of their way!"

Mr. Crouch took a step backward, freeing himself from contact with the elf, whom he was surveying as though she were something filthy and rotten that was contaminating his over-shined shoes.

"If you really don't want her, I can take her" Cassiopeia proposed, still fuming.

"I have no use for a house-elf who disobeys me," he said coldly, looking over at Cassiopeia. "I have no use for a servant who forgets what is due to her master and her master's reputation. She needs to be punished for her wrongdoings"

Winky was crying so hard that her sobs echoed around the clearing. There was a very nasty silence, which was ended by Mr. Lupin, who said quietly, "Well, I think I'll take my lot back to the tent if nobody's got any objections. Amos, that wand's told us all it can — if Harry could have it back, please —"

Mr. Diggory handed him his wand and little potter pocketed it.

"Come on,  Cassiopeia, you and your brother need to come with me till the Malfoys or your mother give word," Mr. Weasley added quietly.

 Granger didn't seem to want to move; her eyes were still upon the sobbing elf. "Hermione!" Mr. Weasley said, more urgently. She turned and followed the rest of us out of the clearing and off through the trees.

"What's going to happen to Winky?" said Granger, the moment they had left the clearing.

"I don't know," said Lily.

"The way they were treating her!" said Granger furiously. "Mr. Diggory, calling her 'elf' all the time . . . and Mr. Crouch! He knows she didn't do it and he's still going to sack her! He didn't care how frightened she'd been, or how upset she was — it was like she wasn't even human!"

"Well, she's not," said Ron.

Surprisingly Archie rounded on him, earning him a very proud look from his role model.
"That doesn't mean she hasn't got feelings, red-head. It's disgusting the way —"

"Archie, I agree with you," said Mr. Black quickly, while Cassiopeia high-fived her brother, " What happened to the others?"

"We lost them in the dark," said Nico. "Dad, why was everyone so uptight about that skull thing?"

"I'll explain everything back at the tent," said Mr. Potter tensely.