1.14: The Train Ride

{1st of September, 1994}

The Hogwarts Express, a gleaming scarlet steam engine, was already there, billowing clouds of steam from which the many Hogwarts students and parents on the platform emerged as dark ghosts. In reaction to the hooting of several owls through the mist, Theodore's owl, Jerry, became noisier than ever. the cousins set off to find seats, and they were soon stowing their luggage in a compartment halfway down the train. Suddenly, the compartment burst open to reveal his other cousin and his two 'friends'

"Morning, are you excited for this year" Cassiopeia exclaimed, unaware of the eavesdroppers next to them

"You know cousin, Father actually considered sending me to Durmstrang rather than Hogwarts, you know. He knows the headmaster, you see. Well, you know his opinion of Dumbledore and Durmstrang doesn't admit that sort of riffraff. But Mother didn't like the idea of me going to school so far away. Father says Durmstrang takes a far more sensible line than Hogwarts about the Dark Arts. Durmstrang students actually learn them, not just the defense rubbish we do. . . ."

"And goodbye, my Parkinson sensors are going off. I'm going to find my partner in crime. Draco, mind your language.  See you in class!" and with that Cassiopeia excited the compartment to go into her reserved one, dragging Theodore along.

"Wotcher brother from another mother" Cassiopeia bowed dramatically

"Ahh, the bain of my existence and the coolest dude in the world" Nathaniel replied sarcastically, getting up to hug both of them.

"Aww, always knew I was your favorite" Theodore exclaimed while hugging Nathaniel, with Cassiopeia wiggling her eyebrows behind them with a classic smirk.

The rain became heavier and heavier as the train moved farther north. The sky was so dark and the windows so steamy that the lanterns were lit by midday. The lunch trolley came rattling along the corridor, and Cassiopeia bought a large stack of Cauldron Cakes for them to share.

While Cassiopeia annoyed the two lovebirds with her prank ideas the Hogwarts Express slowed down at last and finally stopped in the pitch-darkness of Hogsmeade station.

There was a rumble of thunder overhead as the train doors opened. Cassiopeia hid in both of the boys' chests to keep warm because she is freezing cold. In the face of the downpour, their heads bowed and their eyes narrowed. The rain was now falling so thickly and quickly that it felt like buckets of ice-cold water were being emptied over their heads on a frequent basis.

"Oooh, I feel bad for the little twerps crossing the lake in this weather," said Theodore.  All of them shivering as they inched slowly along with the dark platform with the rest of the crowd. A hundred horseless carriages stood waiting for them outside the station. The trio climbed clumsily into one of them, the door shut with a snap, and a few moments later, with a great lurch, the long procession of carriages was rumbling and splashing its way up the track toward Hogwarts Castle.

Through the gates, flanked with statues of winged boars, and up the sweeping drive, the carriages trundled, swaying dangerously in what was fast becoming a gale. Leaning against the window, Cassiopeia could see Hogwarts coming nearer, its many lighted windows blurred and shimmering behind the thick curtain of rain. Lightning flashed across the sky as their carriage came to a halt before the great oak front doors, which stood at the top of a flight of stone steps. People who had occupied the carriages in front were already hurrying up the stone steps into the castle. They jumped down from their carriage and dashed up the steps too, looking up only when they were safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit entrance hall, with its magnificent marble staircase.

"Oh merlin," said Theodore, shaking his head and sending water everywhere, "if that keeps up the lake's going to overflow. I'm soaked — ARRGH!"

A large, red, water-filled balloon had dropped from out of the ceiling onto Theodore's head and exploded. Drenched and sputtering, Theodore staggered sideways into Nathaniel, just as a second water bomb dropped — narrowly missing Cassiopeia, it burst at Nathaniel's feet, sending a wave of cold water over his sneakers into his socks. People all around them shrieked and started pushing one another in their efforts to get out of the line of fire. Cassiopeia looked up and saw, floating twenty feet above them, Peeves the Poltergeist, a little man in a bell-covered hat and orange bow tie, his wide, malicious face contorted with concentration as he aimed again.

"Sorry little black, are these fella's with you?" peeves asked

"Yeah, good job aiming those water balloons I gave you - oh gosh, Minnie is coming, act inconspicuous" Cassiopeia added hastily, dragging her best friends away from the scene. 

"PEEVES!" yelled an angry voice. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!"

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" barked Professor McGonagall, straightening her pointed hat and glaring upward through her square-rimmed spectacles.

"Not doing nothing!" cackled Peeves, lobbing a water bomb at several fifth-year girls, who screamed and dived into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts! Wheeeeeeeeee!" And he aimed another bomb at a group of second years who had just arrived.

"I shall call the headmaster!" shouted Professor McGonagall. "I'm warning you, Peeves —"

Peeves stuck out his tongue, threw the last of his water bombs into the air, and zoomed off up the marble staircase, cackling insanely.

"Well, move along, then!" said Professor McGonagall sharply to the bedraggled crowd. "Into the Great Hall, come on!"

Students slipped and slid across the entrance hall and through the double doors on the right, With Cassiopia grinning smugly, hiding behind her hair as she washed the student's push sopping hair off their faces.

Words: 1035

Hi!

I need help. I don't know how the school year works at Hogwarts. I honestly don't know whether this is a normal calendar or just a fictional one, but in my school (in Australia) we start in late January and end in early December. 

Have a good morning/afternoon or night

27TheEnd