1.29: Double Potions

————————>Double Potions was always a horrible experience, but these days it was nothing short of torture. Being shut in a dungeon for an hour and a half with Snape who seemed determined to punish Cassiopeia as much as possible for looking like her father, was about the most unpleasant thing Harry could imagine. He didn't seem to understand she hated Sirius as much as him.

When the Gryffindor students arrived at Snape's dungeon after lunch, they found the Slytherins waiting outside, each and every one of them wearing a large badge on the front of his or her robes. For one wild moment, Cassiopeia thought they were S.P.E.W. badges — then she saw that they all bore the same message, in luminous red letters that burnt brightly in the dimly lit underground passage:

Support CEDRIC DIGGORY - The Real Hogwarts campion

"How long did it take you to make those," Cassiopeia asked Theodore.

"I don't know, I couldn't sleep. Draco and his goons were up all night making them" Theodore replied tiredly.

"Like them, Potter's?" said Malfoy loudly as the twins approached. "And this isn't all they do — look!"

He pressed his badge into his chest, and the message upon it vanished, to be replaced by another one, which glowed green:

POTTER STINKS!

The Slytherins howled with laughter. Each of them pressed their badges too until the message POTTER STINKS was shining brightly all around them.

"I really don't know if that's true, Potter's cologne is very nice," Cassiopeia whispered to Draco

"I thought you hated him, first your telling me he smells good, next you'll be going on a date," Draco said, raising his eyebrows

"You didn't tell him, did you?" Nataniel said, laughing at her face

"Tell me what Cas-"

"Furnunculus!" Harry yelled.

"Densaugeo!" screamed Malfoy.

Jets of light shot from both wands hit each other in midair and ricocheted off at angles — Harry's hit Goyle in the face, and Malfoy's hit Hermione. Goyle bellowed and put his hands to his nose, where great ugly boils were springing up — Hermione, whimpering in panic, was clutching her mouth.

"Hermione!"

Ron had hurried forward to see what was wrong with her; It wasn't a pretty sight. Hermione's front teeth — already larger than average — were now growing at an alarming rate; she was looking more and more like a beaver as her teeth elongated, past her bottom lip, toward her chin — panic-stricken, she felt them and let out a terrified cry.

"Draco-"

"And what is all this noise about?" said a soft, deadly voice.

Snape had arrived. The Slytherins clamored to give their explanations; Snape pointed a long yellow finger at Malfoy and said, "Explain."

"Potter attacked me, sir —"

"We attacked each other at the same time!" Harry shouted.

"They couldn't keep their testosterone level's down," Cassiopeia interjected.

"— and he hit Goyle — look —"

Snape examined Goyle, whose face now resembled something that would have been at home in a book on poisonous fungi. "Hospital wing, Goyle," Snape said calmly.

"Malfoy got Hermione!" Ron said. "Look!"

He forced Hermione to show Snape her teeth — she was doing her best to hide them with her hands, though this was difficult as they had now grown down past her collar. Pansy Parkinson and the other Slytherin girls were doubled up with silent giggles, pointing at Hermione from behind Snape's back.