𝐗𝐕; 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧 🎀

A couple of days had gone by, while Elizabeth seemed to be adjusting to the White House.

However, Jack and Alice found it difficult to manage their relationship amidst the environment they were in. With Elizabeth's constant presence in the mornings, there were barely any chances to be alone together, but when they could find some space, they would use it to get to know each other better. Their conversations often led to deep philosophical reflections. Alice could go on and on for hours as if she had never been given the opportunity to express herself freely like that. Either that, or she had never felt comfortable enough with anyone to open up in such a way. Jack would listen attentively, offering his perspective as well. His reasonings were confusing and very cryptic. As he was more of a logical, down-to-earth kind of person, rather than drawn to speculation.

Other times, they would simply watch television together, over in the tiny room next to his office. Jack enjoyed The Jack Benny Program and What's My Line. Alice liked watching cartoons, like Top Cat or The Flintstones, but Alice wondered if he thought that that was too childish of her. However, one of Jack's favorite things was to see her giggle at the television, being worry-free, being herself. Her bubbly and cheerful self. It was not rare the occasion when Alice would seek comfort on his shoulder while watching TV, resting her head against it pretending to be tired. Jack would look down at her with a smile, knowing she wasn't really tired. With actions like those, he eventually came to realize that Alice would be a sort of clingy-type girlfriend. Perhaps that would result in a not-so-balanced relationship, given that Jack was not exactly over-affectionate. But given they couldn't express any sort of endearment in public, his affection built up and was reserved for those little special moments with her.

She was his guilty secret, his unconsciously innocent seductress, his darling rosebud.

"Alice, will you get the President's paperwork?" Evelyn asked of her on that chilly January morning. Alice nodded and went to fetch the President's documents addressed to him. But when she got there, they were nowhere to be found.

"That's odd." She waited and asked around. But nobody had any idea about their whereabouts.

She returned to the Oval Office with empty hands and feeling embarrassed and nervous. How could something like that have happened?

When she got there, Elizabeth was there too, holding a clipboard to her chest and looking confident and perky.

Alice, on the contrary, was looking down to the floor with insecurity as she approached Jack.

"Mr. President, I can't find your paperwork..." She admitted with shame.

"You lost it?" Asked Elizabeth with an incredulous scoff.

Alice was surprised that the girl was mocking her, it felt like a betrayal after having been nothing but kind towards her. Alice looked at her, feeling resentful, but changed her attention back to the president when he spoke.

"Is that true? Did you lose them?"

"I didn't lose them." Said Alice with frustration. "They weren't there at all, to begin with."

"Someone could have taken them..." He thought out loud. "That's why it's the first thing you should do as soon as you get here, Alice."

"I'm so sorry. I never thought someone could so easily steal around here." It was the White House. Who would dare to steal in the best-guarded building in America?

He looked slightly disappointed, which was like a stab at her fragile heart.

Jack walked out of the Office, most likely, to find an explanation for the missing documents. She followed him.