𝐈; 𝐏𝐮𝐥𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 🎀

In the beginning, her life was just like that of any other middle-class girl's life. A good and simple life, molded by hard-working immigrant parents who had left Spain to escape the civil war bound to happen. They started off with nothing, barely knowing how to say "hello". Over the course of five years, José Antonio Olivares was finally able to achieve what he really wanted: to enter the world of politics and to start a family. It all began in 1939, with Albert, and it continued with Alice -or Alicia-, born in 1942. María Olivares could also finally quit her job to take care of her new family, thanks to José Antonio's well paid job.

Saving up, they ended buying a new house -that came with a nice garden and a pool- in December of 1959. But it was in January of 1960, that José received exciting news, bound to change their lives even more; He had been chosen to manage the campaign of a Senator who had recently announced he would run for the presidency of the United States. He was to coordinate it along with the Senator's brother. The family was beyond amazed to hear that.

They were going to make the most out of this new house in Georgetown; the Olivares' decided to throw a party in honor of the Senator at the beginning of February. The day before they had also thrown a birthday party for Alice. It was surely a busy house that week.

A few distinguished politicians attended in black tie, with their elegantly dressed wives. Alice wouldn't trust any of them, not even a little. They all seemed so false, like wolves dressed in sheep wool. Yet, she had to smile at them, pretend, as they did. That was until a certain man joined the party late and her smile became genuine for once.

"What is this? You come late to your own party?" Her father reprimanded the man.

"I'm so, so sorry, José. I just didn't know what to wear." He joked.

Alice could barely see him, he was quickly surrounded by every person in the room. Such a highly demanded man, she thought. She could only patiently await her turn. Leaving the crowded room, she opted to spend some time outside in the backyard porch, in front of the arch of flowers and the fountain. With only the illumination of the porch light, she resumed reading the newest issue of Seventeen that she'd left on the glass table earlier. She would wait there until it was time for dinner. There was no point in staying inside where no one would talk to her. She was just a young girl who presumedly didn't know enough about politics to be able to debate with the men, and she was also not old enough to hang out with the women. She was not interested in their type of conversations anyway.

The magazine was quite interesting. It had new hairstyles that she would surely try out. Some make up looks were also showcased, promoting new lines of cosmetics. However, she did not care about makeup that much. If she did wear it, it was just some cherry-colored lipstick and blush. She flipped the page where there was a picture of The Paris Sisters talking about their fashion choices. They were wearing some cute outfits. Alice wished she could get the patterns for them. The girl barely bought clothes at all, as she made them herself. Just like the green dress she was wearing at the moment. The dress was simple, yet it was also decorated with some embroidered clovers at the top and some at the end of the dress. She'd actually made it for Saint Patrick's day. All their Irish neighbors from their old neighborhood loved it. They were really nice people, Alice loved how much in common their ways of life had. She loved the big families they usually had, how warm and welcoming they were. Alice had also noticed about the rest of her neighbors that Italians and Spaniards were practically the same, and could even understand each other in their respective native languages quite easily.

Alice put aside the magazine again, walking up to were the birds usually liked to perch. It was almost dark, but her favorite dove was still up.

"Hey, Vicent, do you want me to sing you a lullaby?" The bird tilted its head, bringing his attention to her.