𝐕𝐈𝐈; 𝐃𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐫 🎀

Despite how hard Alice tried to reassure the president that he was not a failure, he wouldn't have any of it. He insisted on torturing himself over the Bay of Pigs fiasco. She could definitely understand how guilty he felt for all those men being captured and losing their lives. She herself was pretty upset about it. But her job was not to make him worry more. That's why, despite the obvious severity of the situation, she kept trying to make him feel better, without taking away importance from it. Being so early into his presidency, this was obviously a very damaging controversy for his administration. Needless to say, he had not slept in days. As one of the people who had to take care of his health, Alice recommended he spent some days at Hyannis Port. The marine breeze would do him well and definitely lift his debonair spirit. But he would not accept, there was too much to do, he said.

Yet some days before the president's birthday, José decided to invite the man over to their place for a day of relaxation. Now that they had the secret service and the house had been fully secured, it was acceptable and safe for the president to visit as he pleased. Alice was silently overjoyed. She spent all morning cleaning, making sure the house was up to standard. Picking up every single stranded speck of dust made her back ache and her allergies act up as she dusted off the furniture and shelves. She did all this while several batches of snickerdoodles and chocolate cookies baked in the oven, producing the most mouth-watering smells. Each chocolate chip individually distinguishable, the cinnamon being the perfect accompaniment. It definitely took away all her anxiousness about his visit, so she thought that perhaps the biscuits would also aid in the betterment of his mood. It felt silly, but even the smallest things could make Alice feel better, so why couldn't that be the case for President Kennedy as well?

The sun was happy that day. It already felt like summer. Even though the temperature was not at its maximum, there were no clouds in sight, no shade, and no wind. In consequence, forcing the young girl to wear her favorite summer jumpsuit. Embroidered daisies made the pink outfit even cuter, combined with her hair formed into pigtails, for a change.

Alice thought she was completely ready for his arrival, but when the doorbell rang, her heart skipped a beat.

"Alice, could you get the door, please?" Her mother asked while she took out the last batch from the oven. José was also busy himself watering the plants so they looked shiny and clean.

Alice went quickly, opening the door to be greeted by a man surrounded by agents. As if she wasn't nervous enough, that crowd of men in sunglasses completely took her aback. She could barely see the man in question until he confidently stepped forward, dressed in a casual outfit significantly contrasting from his usual suit and tie.

"Hello, Alice." He looked down at her, his vision previously being directed significantly higher up, as he had expected José or María to open the door.

"Hello, sir." She said timidly, feeling his observance solely concentrated on her. "Please, come in." The girl stepped aside to make way for all of them, wondering if they were all going to fit inside the house, but some agents stayed outside.

Soon her parents and Teresa appeared, relieving her of the responsibility of being the primary host. María had her apron on and a cloth over her shoulder and apologized for it when she realized how she looked. But President Kennedy knew she was just about to start cooking their lunch, so he told her that it didn't matter.

"No me digas que no es encantador. ¡Y tan apuesto!" [Don't tell me he's not charming. And so dashing! ] Teresa swooned as they both followed from behind to the living room.

"¡Abuela!" Alice's cheeks reddened, even though she knew he couldn't understand. Teresa threw a look at her, smiling sideways.

José went to prepare the table outside, under the vine-cradled pergola. He would probably take a while, being the meticulous and perfectionist man he was.