𝐈𝐈; 𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬 🎀

November arrived

November arrived. José Antonio had been working hard on the campaign. María and Alice also did their work, going to rallies and promoting the name John F. Kennedy everywhere they went. María was in the "Women for Kennedy" front, while Alice was in the "Youth for Kennedy" front, despite not being able to vote. A downside of living in Washington D.C, the home of presidents. How ironic it was. But that wouldn't stop Alice from going outside to Virginia or Maryland to promote, and encourage the people who could vote. She didn't go out of the house without her campaign pin and sash. Sometimes, she proudly wore the hat. It was indeed an exciting time. But Alice had barely seen her father at all, who accompanied Senator Kennedy almost everywhere. Even Albert was touring the states. She hadn't had any chance to speak to the senator since the party either. The man was too busy, understandably so.

But at last, the day was upon them. The eighth of November, 1960. The whole nation sat in front of their TVs, waiting to hear which name would receive the title of President-elect. Nixon or Kennedy?

Alice felt like biting her pretty nails. All this waiting was unbearable. She was currently in Boston. The Senator had invited them and a few other members of the campaign to watch the results along with his family in their Hyannis Port compound, where she had met his family. The patriarch; Joseph Kennedy and the matriarch; Rose. As well as his brothers and sisters; Robert, Edward, Jean, Eunice, and Patricia. The Senator was currently taking a long-deserved nap, the poor man wanted to be well-rested to handle the results, whether they would indicate victory or not.

Alice drank perhaps about six Coca-Cola's that day, her sugar levels making her even more anxious. Had they done enough to achieve victory?

"Rosita, stop panicking. There's no point in stressing out, we'll know soon enough." José told her, squeezing her shoulder tenderly in reassurance.

"I know, but I just wonder how the Senator would react if he lost? What if he got tremendously upset? I wonder if he's being able to get any sleep at all." She sighed, taking another sip from the flavorful refreshment.

"Why don't we take a walk along the beachside, huh? It's breezy, but it'll refresh your mind."

José gathered his black trench coat and Alice's blue overcoat. It was true that there was a cold marine breeze outside, as soon as they opened the door they felt it. They wrapped themselves up and started walking towards the beach.

Hyannis was so beautiful. Alice was very grateful to the Senator for inviting them to watch the results. Especially since she thought he would have preferred to share a moment like that with only his family.

"Dad, do you think he'll make you Chief of Staff if he wins?" Alice suddenly spoke.

"I don't know. I don't expect him to do so. He would have asked by now anyway." José seemed to shrug but perhaps it was the trembling of his body, as the cold crept even through the thick coat.