𝐗𝐗𝐈; 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐱 𝐡𝐢𝐦 🎀

When March arrived, it finally brought Alice her only chance of talking alone with Jack's physician. They were well acquainted with each other, after Alice had to learn Jack's treatment and dosage. What Alice was there to learn that time, though, was why he was having a separate treatment simultaneously. Dr. Travell was a bright and upfront woman, respected by everyone. Which was why Alice had a hard time believing she'd do anything behind the curtains. She'd at least inform the presidential aide of any alterations.

It was on her break that Alice ran to the doctor's office.

"Hello, Janet." Alice greeted her after closing the door.

"Alice," Janet immediately got up to greet her. "Is there an issue with the President? Or you?" Her first instinct as a doctor was to check up on someone as soon as they entered her office.

Alice dismissed her concerns with a wave of her hand. "It might be nothing, but I wanted to ask you a medical question."

"Go ahead," she said, indicating for Alice to sit.

"Amphetamines," Alice was nervous to know the answer to her question, especially after Janet's reaction to hearing the first word. "Are they harmless or do they pose a risk to health?"

"Do you know of someone who is using these?" So far, it appeared Alice was right. Janet wasn't aware of it, which made it more troubling. Alice just nodded. "Despite still being used, it is clear that this drug is not suitable to be used in medical treatments. It may only be used in very rare and specific cases in small dosages. The issue has simply not been reviewed yet."

Alice sighed with annoyance. "Because it's not convenient for the companies."

"Precisely." Janet agreed.

Alice looked downward as she fiddled. "What are the side effects?"

"There are many to take into account. Both physical and psychological. And they are far from small."

"Would you be so kind as to refer me a list, nonetheless?"

"I'll have one ready for you later. I'll leave it at your desk. And Alice," the doctor said, placing a hand on Alice's shoulder. "you can count on me if you need any more help in this. We must fight medical corruption."

Alice acknowledged Janet's wish to help, and it was reassuring. Fighting the big pharmaceuticals was no small task, but if they could at least stop one negligent doctor from poisoning his patients, it was well worth it to try.

Before Alice told Janet the truth though, she first needed to confront Jack. And to do so, she would need to be well informed. Then, she would get to the bottom of it and find out who prescribed such a drug.

Each time, Alice stayed more and more until late hours in the White House. That day she stayed to ponder when to have this confrontation.

When the sky outside darkened, Jack officially called it a day. He looked for his girlfriend almost everywhere, but could not find her. So he returned to his office, only to see her at the other side of one of the windows. She was sitting on the floor by the colonnade.

Jack calmly walked outside, and sat by her in silence.

Alice found his hand rested upon his knee, and laced her fingers with his own. Her ring sparkled like a shooting star as it reflected one of the lights. She'd finally decided to use it, seeing no harm in it. And thankfully, no one in her family had noticed or questioned it.

While holding his hand, Alice was sure they would not discuss it today. Janet's report was still waiting to be read, it was late, and none of them had enough energy to discuss such an important matter. She could forget about it all for a couple of hours more if it meant spending a nice and relaxing time with Jack before going home.