𝐕; 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐢𝐦 🎀

Weeks had passed since Alice initiated her exciting journey at the White House

Weeks had passed since Alice initiated her exciting journey at the White House. The amount of work didn't diminish. However, the atmosphere did become significantly calmer. Her tasks also became way more organized, not as unsystematic. Before, she would be running around from one place to the other, not knowing if she was doing something the right way or not. But now, everything was settled, and she started to get to know more of the staff. She had also begun to know Robert Kennedy better. The more time she spent with him, the more she was certain that the man was an angel on Earth. She could see it in his eyes. He was incredibly kind, not only towards her but in general. She was seeing more of the Vice-President as well. Mr. Johnson wasn't Alice's favorite person there, but at the very least she tolerated him. She still couldn't wrap her mind around why President Kennedy had chosen him. In any case, she trusted the president's judgment above all else. She had made friends with Mrs. Lincoln, after spending so much time with her. They had in common their hard-working attitude, as well as a passion for writing, whether it was keeping a diary or coming up with poetry. Alice was happy. She felt fulfilled.

"Miss Olivares?" Her name was called by President Kennedy, who was sitting in his rocking chair, next to the couch.

It was noon, and they both had been working in the Oval after a morning of meetings. Alice liked these moments. She liked the serenity of sitting in silence with him.

"Yes, Mr. President?" She answered immediately, looking up at him, ready for any task he might ask of her.

"Would you like to take a look at the Rose Garden?" He gave her a grin, awaiting her reaction. He had been keeping the redesign a close secret the whole time. She hadn't even been allowed to take a peep.

"Really?" She said excitedly, getting up from her seat.

He nodded, enchanted by her eager interest in it.

They walked side by side while she held his arm to be guided him. He'd told her to close her eyes until they reached the garden, which had taken very long to complete because he wanted every detail to be measured close to perfection.

"You can open your eyes now."

She let go of his arm and opened her eyes. The president put his hand to her back, encouraging her to walk into the garden.

"Oh, wow!" A sea of flowers flooded her vision. She stepped inside, ready to inspect every feature from up close. The first thing she noticed was the small gazebo, located at the end of the garden under a tree, outside of the lawn, which had to be kept empty to be able to hold ceremonies. She then walked around observing the frame of flowers, the president following closely behind. Yellow, white, and red tulips accompanied the roses in a pleasant and dense arrangement. The pink magnolia blossoms swayed as if they were dancing a slow tango, Alice's steps matching the rhythm. She gently grazed her fingers against a tulip feeling its silk-like texture. Alice turned around to find the harmonious expression of the president. His eyes were locked on her, perceiving with acuity any small movement she made.