Sneak Peak - Ch. 1 of Book 3 (Coming Soon)

He had been walking along downtown for a few hours now and was already getting nervous. At the end of his lip, there was a cigarette hanging and he waited, tightening his jacket as he looked around, walking along the dark streets. Each shadow caused him to flinch, but he continued to listen for any veering of cars driving down this street. Eventually one came by, and when it slowly came to stop in front of him, Jacob Minty smiled.

Soon enough, they came to an agreement and he climbed in, shutting the door to his side and letting the man slip him a few bills before they drove off.

Shortly after, when Jacob had done enough for him, the man let Jacob leave and as he drove away, Jacob counted the bills he received. Only a hundred this time but it was his third round and he could make more. He heard another car slowly approach and cursed under his breath when he recognized the tanned Toyota.

When the passenger side window rolled down, Jacob exhaled an annoyed sigh, "What do you want, Jo?"

"Get in the car, it's getting late," he demanded, rolling up the window and waiting.

Jacob pulled open the door, "Can you leave? You're disrupting my customers—"

"Now."

His voice had darkened into deeper levels that Jacob squirmed, cursing under his breath before climbing inside. When his seatbelt was fastened, the motor roared and they left the downtown streets, Jacob feeling a sudden flush of guilt but annoyance run through him.

"How d'you find out I was doing this again?" Only silence answered. When he glanced over, he felt a sweat begin to form on the corner of his forehead. It was clear Jollan was beyond furious, his jaw continuously clenching and how his index finger tapped on the edge of his chin, as if attempting to countdown and control his breathing at the same time. The silver rings around his thumb, index and ring finger twinkled from the light posts they drove under, and Jacob felt a bit intimidated by how intently Jollan was staring at the road ahead of them.

They eventually arrived to Jollan's home, and Jacob attempted to talk again, "I'm not staying here for the ni—" the door was slammed shut; Jollan had already exited.

He unlocked the front door, stepping inside before shoving it behind him. The moment Ella saw his face, she knew it was best to avoid whatever situation he was dealing with, returning the attention to the meal she was cooking. They always ate very late, almost at midnight, but it was because she was always exhausted from work that she always ended up falling asleep when she got back.

She raised an eyebrow when she heard the front door open again, and when she met the gaze of Jacob, she shook her head, "You look way too much like your father to be walking in like that."

"What's up old hag?"

"He sadly spoke the same way too." She put her wooden spatula to the side, reaching over to him and wrapping her arms around his shoulders, "Whatever you did, Jollan is pissed about it. What d'you do?" Jacob turned away, biting his bottom lip but Ella narrowed her eyes, "You know he'll tell me later."

"I was on the corner again."

Ella's eyes widened, replaying the words he said before inhaling a sharp breath. Then, she exploded, "You were what?!"

Kyle walked by, eyeing the both of them and rapidly scurrying away. Even though he did want to catch up with Jacob, it wasn't clearly not the best time. "Why?!"

"Wanted to make some quick cash," he admitted.

Ella was at a list of words, and before she burst into flames, she turned away and said, "We'll speak on this later. I would work it out with Jollan first if I were you."