Sneak Peak: Ch. 2 of Book 3

"Have you talked to Jacob?"

"No." That was the only thing Jollan heard, knowing his Dad would not appreciate that answer. Ella had told Bradley about the argument they had the other day, and they hadn't heard from Jacob since. Jollan was visibly worried since he always had a sense of where Jacob was or what he was doing—not seeing him for four days was a record and one he did not want to continue on.

But he was offended that Jacob didn't consider them family; he had risked everything for this guy. There was practically nothing binding their family other than Ella feeling obligated to care for Jacob as it was the son of Jonah, Kylan's soulmate. She had watched him grow and wanted to be the parent that Leah wasn't to him. But their blood weren't related meaning that they were practically best friends; there was nothing holding them together.

He stabbed his fork in his sausage, shoving his knife to slice it in half before eating one of the pieces. There was no way he was ever speaking to Jacob unless he was apologized to, but he felt as if he was being a sissy by awaiting an apology from a twenty three year old. Besides, he was only eighteen and Jacob was much more manlier than he was; he had a bigger built and defined muscles that he envied—he shouldn't be treating him as if he was a child.

"Jo," Bradley spoke.

Bradley had aged quite a bit; he had started having lower back pain years prior when he tried to play soccer again and his muscles didn't agree with him. Regardless, he was still active, not letting the pain destroy his lifestyle and him and Ella regularly went to the gym together, whenever they could make plans around their own work schedules. Their marriage had struggled heavily but they were a happy couple, with three boys. Kyle was only seven and Demetrius was sixteen. They all had features that closely resembled Bradley, only having either Ella's hair colour or her hostile behaviour.

Bradley waited until Jollan met his gaze before clearing his throat and saying, "Just beat his ass and make him listen to you."

"That's what I would do," Ella shrugged her shoulders, grabbing her bowl of cereal and sitting across from them.

Bradley turned to Ella with a mocking smile, "Oh wait, he can't."

"Stop making fun of me! This is serious."

Bradley rolled his eyes, grabbing the newspaper and reading along, "Ease up loser, I'm kidding with ya'. Besides, you guys have been close for how long? You'll be friends again by tonight."

"They haven't spoken in four days," Ella added.

"I went a whole month without speaking to your mother and we made it—"

"Barely," Ella mumbled under her breath, which Bradley heard.

He narrowed his eyes, "Want to bring up why?"

"Nope," she smiled, "we're good now. No point in reliving the past."

"So neither of you guys are going to help me out with th—"

"You're in first year University, you can figure this out on your own," Bradley said, standing to his feet. "Besides, it's Jacob Minty. He's exactly like his father so talking to him should be easy."

Jollan shook his head, "My parents are good for nothing."

"I'm good to give an ass beating if you want to say that again a little louder?" When Jollan stayed quiet, Bradley scoffed, "That's what I thought."

"All I'm asking is for some real advice."

"We've given you real advice," Ella chuckled. "Talk to him, he'll understand and so should you. Fights happen and you say things you don't mean. Of course he sees you as family Jollan, he was just upset. You got this."

They were always this way, unless it was very serious of course. He enjoyed having laidback parents; Bradley and Ella never really punished him for much and they were more understanding than anything. Jollan opened up to them when he first tried weed, and Bradley explained why it was considered good and bad, and told him to be safe dying his usage. They prohibited him from anything else though and had made the fine line already noted; if they found out he was consuming any other drug, they would kicked him out right away.

They were open about alcohol ever since he was sixteen, and whenever they were invited to parties, they always brought him. Bringing him meant bringing Jacob along, which he always did since Jacob used any excuse to get out of the home when he was there, right before he went to juvie. They had all been very close as a family, even Jacob was always here until recent years that he started avoiding them more often.

Jollan left the kitchen and headed for his bedroom, getting ready for his first class of the day. He was in his second semester of his freshman year, and he had met way too many people that most of the time, he was lost in his phone for hours just typing away at anyone that wanted to talk. Going to school was one way that always cheered him up, and he was hoping heading there would make him think about something else other than Jacob.

Except that before he even entered his car, he received a call from a number that wasn't familiar. When he answered, the raspy voice made him shake his head, hearing, "I'm in jail."