Ch. 22 - "Are you both stupid?"

"This is his fucking fourth time relapsing ever since we broke up, and you're telling me this now?"

"I know," Ella sobbed into the phone, "I'm sorry, he didn't want me to tell you but nothing is helping him get better."

"You should have called me," he shouted into the phone, feeling a mixture of rage and worry storm through his veins. He had sprinted to his car right away and began driving back to his hometown. He needed to see Kylan, and that was his only worry at the moment. "You should have fucking told me about it, what were you thinking?"

"I thought he was getting better, he said he was better—"

"After three times of self-harming in the span of four months, are you that fucking stupid Ella?"

He heard shuffling at the other end, and Bradley's voice soon surfaced, "Stop yelling at her like this."

"She deserves to get yelled at, she'll get Kylan killed."

"She didn't know what to do."

"I don't give a fuck Bradley, one thing you should've done is call me. You knew too?"

"I did but Kylan told us not to tell you—"

"Are you both stupid?"

"Look Jonah, we'll talk to you when you get here, we're at the hospital," he hissed in the phone, "tell us when you're here."

Jonah slammed the phone against the window and gripped the steering wheel tighter, slamming his forehead against it a few times. He had almost gotten into an accident a dozen times due to how fast he was driving, and he got to the hospital in about two and a half hours, which usually would take four hours.

He blamed himself for ever letting Kylan walk out of his condo that day, knowing that there was a possibility of him relapsing. He felt guilty for not paying attention to him, and the entire situation behind their breakup. Hence why he raced inside the hospital, already dialling Ella's number and when Bradley replied, he asked urgently, "Where are you guys?"

Bradley gave him the directions.

He made it to the second floor, and the mere sight of Ella caused his stomach to twirl. Her entire face was puffed red from all the sobbing, but he scoffed and stepped around her to Bradley, "Which room is he in?"

"Jonah, I don't think it's a good idea of going now—"

"You shut up," he snarled at Ella, who flinched and stepped behind Bradley who furrowed his brows.

"Can you calm down first? I'm not telling you the room number until you're calm. You can't go in there to see Kylan like this."

Jonah groaned under his breath and turned around, taking a deep inhale and blowing all the air out. He needed to calm down, and when he felt himself regain his composure, he finally faced them again, avoiding to look at Ella since he knew it would frustrate him again.

"213."

Jonah raced to that door number, passing by nurses and other visitors before finally reaching it. Then, he turned the doorknob and entered the room, almost starting to cry at the mere sight of Kylan.

He had grown skinny, his cheeks sunken in and his eyes all purple surrounding them. He seemed all frail and weak, and it took half a minute for him to simply turn his head and face Jonah.

His arm was filled with bandages, and he was wearing the hospital gown, so thin that it barely covered his body. The blanket only wrapped him to his waist, and his wrists were restrained against the railing.

When he did, his eyes immediately widened, and he began panicking, pushing himself upwards, "Ella!"

"Kylan," Jonah stepped towards the bed, feeling his chest begin to clench as he reached the bed, "It's just me."

"How d'you find me?" his voice sounded weak, strained, and Jonah was having difficulty even staring at him.

He cleared his throat, "Ella told me."

Kylan turned away, "She shouldn't have."

"This is your fourth time?"

"It's none of your business," he hissed.

Jonah sighed, pulled the visitor's chair closer to the bed and sat on it. Seeing Kylan in this way was harder than he had imagined, since he believed he could have prevented it. However, all he needed was support and love.

Kylan was wearing the engagement ring.

"We'll get through this," Jonah breathed quietly, reaching over and interlacing their fingers, "together, okay?"

Instantly, Kylan's eyes bursted with tears, beginning to sob as if he had not cried in weeks, his entire body trembling. His mind had not been right, neither had it been healthy, and there was nothing he could do to control it. He had been taking his meds, but they weren't enough. Nothing felt enough, and most nights he was left spending hours at late night bars and returning to Ella's plastered.

Everything had been rough, harder than he had imagined. It was not because of Jonah, it was more-so that his life no longer felt accomplished. He felt as if he was a nuisance, a feeling Ella could never fix although she tried.

Jonah bit his bottom lip before whispering, "Why are you crying, Ky?"

"I just feel so alone all the time," he sobbed, his voice cracking. "Ella's never home, and when she is, Bradley is too. Nobody seems to care that I'm around, and I don't feel like my life matters—"

"It does matter. I told you to call me whenever you felt this way."

"I know, but I didn't think you would want me to. Your life is separate from mine now, and I didn't want to disturb it any more than I already did."

Jonah raised his eyes to the ceiling, forcing himself not to cry in order to be strong for Kylan.

"Ky, regardless of whether I move on or not, you can always call me. I'll always be there for you."

Kylan shook his head, "I need to learn to be grown and push past this myself."

"That doesn't mean you shouldn't have people help you by loving you and supporting you," Jonah leaned over the railing and placed his palm on Kylan's cheek, "you'll be fine, alright? Just please, don't give up on me."