Ch. 7 - "I'm a chef, I hope my cooking is good."

"You broke up with him?!" Ella screamed in the phone, in disbelief, "Why?"

Kylan did not even turn to look at the phone, rather remained and the sombre room, cuddled under piles of blankets and pillows. He wished he had never said yes, but he was attempting to better himself and Jonah.

When there was no response, Ella sighed, "Kylan I can't come this week, I work but I'll be there during the weekend."

"That's fine," he breathed quietly.

"I'll send Bradley over — he has a few days off."

"Please don't," he did not want comfort from Bradley. Let's not forget all the times Bradley bullied him in high school.

"Okay, I'll call you later alright? My supervisor is coming this way—" and she hung up the phone before Kylan could even get an answer out.

He shuffled in his bed, wishing that Jonah was there to hold him. They had never had fights to this extreme before, and he never thought Jonah would agree to simply leave. However, lately their relationship had been going south.

But there was no relationship anymore.

"Hello?"

Kylan fell still when he heard someone's voice in his appartement.

"Is anyone here?"

It was a woman's voice, and he stood to his feet, lethargically dragging them to the living room where she stood.

"Oh, you are home!"

It was Sam.

She was dressed in a tank top and sweats, and her hair was in a bun. She seemed a bit tired as well, but she also had a tray of warm breakfast foods. Scrambled eggs, sausages and pancakes.v

"I just made breakfast; I was wondering if you'd like to share it with me? That's how I greet new neighbours," she smiled genuinely, but Kylan shook his head.

"Can you please leave?" he said quietly, pointing towards the door, "I'm not in a good mood." He was taller than her, and the manner he was looking down at the floor with his head tilted to the side was evident that a fight between him and Jonah had happened.

She withheld her smile, "Eating will help, I promise. We can talk all about it, and letting it out will make you build enough courage to message him and ask him to talk?"

When Kylan met her gaze, she winked, "I knew you guys weren't just friends, I'm not dumb. But come on," she motioned towards the kitchen, ""stop whining and let's eat. Being depressing with someone else is better than by yourself."

Although reluctant, Kylan allowed her to set the table, and serve him a plate of food. To his surprise, it seemed to brighten all the sombre atmosphere in his body since it was so delicious. He even grinned as he closed his eyes and savoured the taste, assuming that if heaven had a taste, that would be it.

Sam chuckled at his expression, "I'm a chef, I hope my cooking is good."

"It's delicious," the gloom no longer filled his eyes, "I'm so glad you brought this over."

She seemed embarrassed, and blushed, "Thank you."

"You can bring breakfast over any time you want."

"Okay, I will. Anyways, so are you going to explain why you're in such a depressing state?"

Kylan swallowed the food and was surprised he did not feel
like crying as he thought of Jonah. Instead, although saddened, tilted his head and told her the story.

"You broke up with him?" she gasped at the ending.

He nodded his head, "I didn't think he would leave."

"He asked you twice—"

"I know but I just...it was an impulsive decision."

"You love him though, right?"

"Of course I do, and I know without a doubt that he loves me too. But," he sent a stressful hand through his hair, "we've been arguing so much recently. About literally anything and it's so heartbreaking."

She tilted her head, "I understand you."

"Even when we saw you in the elevator and he said we were friends, we started arguing about that but I found it somewhat rude that he didn't introduce us as together."

"I would be annoyed too."

"Or we argued over his baby mother, or his parents—"

"He has a kid?" she breathed. Kylan nodded his head, to which she said, "You got to be careful."

"We've been together for six years so I'm not worried about that, but the arguments lately and fights have been taking a toll on me."

"It must have," Sam agreed, "I used to be in a very bad relationship two years ago and it changed my whole life."

"I don't want to lose him though, I love him and he loves me but he continuously throws this living situation in my face. He does work and provides the money for all this and me, but he's making it seem like I don't help out at all."

"That's mean!"

"I know! The reason the condo is like this, is because of me. I clean everything, make the food, take care of his kid when he's at work, so our laundry, make sure all the little things are bought when they're done like paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent. I always do the dishes; literally all he does it come home, sleep, wake up and go back to work."

"I agree, you are the one helping him live as well."

Kylan scoffed, "He's not giving me any credit for that."

Sam stood from her seat, "You two need to have a long chat."

He also stood, "I know."

He attempted to grab all the plates and dishes but Sam stopped him, "Let me do it."

"No, I'll—"

"Sit down," she hissed, and he gulped, sitting back down. She reminded him of Ella for a split second there.

When she finished doing the dishes, she piled all her belongings, and turned to Kylan, "I loved having breakfast with you."

"I liked having breakfast with you too."

She started walking towards the door, "Why don't you come over tomorrow? Maybe we can have breakfast together again or lunch?"

He followed her to the door and opened it for her, "Sounds good to me."

As she exited the door, she faced him one last time, "By the way, I don't want to say this out loud because it's kind of embarrassing, but can you lean in really quick?"

Kylan was confused, leaned in towards her, only to have her lips suddenly placed against his. He didn't move away, simply felt her tiny warm lips enveloppe his, but he remained still.

When she pulled away, she winked, and then walked away, leaving a dumbfounded Kylan standing at the door.

Did she just...kiss me?