Ch. 17 - "Don't touch me."

The silence had consumed the entire condo, to the point that neither of their breathings could be heard. It took a few seconds before Kylan built up the courage to glance upwards towards Jonah, but he wished he hadn't. The heartbreak and pain behind Jonah's navy's eyes was a sight he would never be able to forget. Jonah's jaw was seen clenching and unclenching repeatedly, and his eyes were widened, swelling with tears as he stared into emptiness.

"Jonah, I—"

"Don't touch me."

His voice had dried up from its love, and was filled with disgust and hate. He was avoiding staring at Kylan, shaking his head and his mind had not yet fully grasped what Kylan had just said.

Sam's pregnant.

"Please, let me hug you—"

"If you fucking touch me, don't be surprised if I punch you in the nose."

A threat.

Jonah was furious, about to combust into flames and his rage was apparent through his face becoming a opaque red. His breathing became shallow, and he placed his palm against the wall, attempting to stay upright. This was a weight on his shoulders he never thought he would have to face, and something he was unsure he would be able to live with.

Soon enough, as Kylan waited, a bit scared, he inhaled sharply when he heard Jonah begin speaking with a wobbly voice, "I gave you everything."

Kylan bit his bottom lip.

"In high school, I protected you from everyone. I protected you from seniors that bullied you to write your papers, had them expelled. I protected you from your father, I protected you from yourself, I reconnected you with Ella, I protected you from Bradley."

"Jonah, please—"

"JUST LISTEN TO ME!" his roar was so loud, Kylan flinched and thought he lost his hearing for a few seconds. "For once in your fucking life! I even visited your mother's grave with you. I helped you pay for college, even though I promised to support you, which I did. I built this company for us. I work for us. I invite people that I don't even like for you..." Jonah's voice cracked since his throat clogged.

He sent his fingers through his hair and chuckled incredulously, wiping his upper lip from the tears and runny nose.

"I bought this luxurious condo for you, went against my family for you. I lost all my friends for you, didn't build that strong of a relationship with my son since I was busy making sure that you were alright. Started ignoring Leah because I knew it hurt you, the mother of my son!"

He bit his trembling bottom lip, his eyes squeezing shut as more tears fell. This was no regular crying, it was the deep pain he felt within his heart and chest, his stomach clenching and his eyes blurring. His arms were shaking, and his gritted teeth were tightening his jaw.

He finally met Kylan's gaze, and Kylan thought his heart had stopped, "I moved all the way out here for you. All I ever did these past six years was for you, Kylan. None other than you. Yes, my words have been painful to hear and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things about you, and mentioned your mother at all. But Kylan," he coughed, sobbing for a moment before whispering, "you're building a family I'm not going to be apart of. And that was all I dreamed of with you."

"It's not like that Jonah—"

"I have something for you," he walked to his bedroom, and came back with a small case.

Kylan thought he would faint, immediately becoming lightheaded as Jonah, in a shaky breath, whispering, "Open it."

He handed the box to Kylan, and the box was trembling in Kylan's palms, "I can't."

"Just open it."

It took a few seconds, but when Kylan opened it, tears immediately dripped from the bottom of his chin onto the object.

"It has my initials on yours, since you said that when you grow old and end up with Alzheimer's, you wanted to remember those initials."

Kylan felt his heart clench.

"It also has a rose on it, since you said you wanted your mom to be apart of our relationship, and her favourite type of flowers were roses."

The ring was beautiful.

"I was going to ask you to marry me, Ky. I wanted you to be mine, for the rest of our fucking lives. I love being with you, even when I'm mad at you. But that wasn't enough for you. You can keep it, since it was supposed to go to you from the beginning."

Kylan shook his head, "Jonah, please. It wasn't how you think it was," he was panicking, "I don't like Sam, I'm not even straight. And I never stopped loving you, you mean the world to me Jonah, please—"

Jonah leaned forward and placed a peck on Kylan's forehead, "I'm tired. You can take the couch for tonight; goodnight."

And for the first time, Jonah did not call Kylan from the couch to go sleep with him.