7. My fairy

Get well soon Papii 😣

.............

But soon enough Gun realizes that his human legs are not quite used to this momentum. He slips over something, falls dragging Off along with him and both land unceremoniously into a lower ground. If not for Off's presence of mind and a little bit of providence, they would have become an easy target to the hunter's firearm. 

With those surveying eyes,  Off spots a hideout, a cavern not two or three steps away from where they fell. Like a born survivor to his very core, he wastes no time dragging Gun into the cavern, a shelter from danger, that is if they are lucky enough. 

"Off'' 

When they settle inside the cave standing in chilling waters knee deep,Gun calls in his panic without realizing the danger they are in. Thankfully Off is conscious enough, that his palm closes Gun's mouth before he can make another blunder. They stay in this uncomfortable state for several long painstaking minutes. Sound of strong footsteps hover over their head only with the rock of the cave saving  them from the eyes of the  hunter. 

And then there is a roaring, an unpleasant sound to which Gun clenches his shorts with both hands out of reflex. 

It gives an eerie feel to the two boys beneath the rock surface trying so hard not to even breath so loud. 

After a few painful seconds of waiting for a disaster that could cost both of them their lives, silence slowly begins to fill their surrounding. The sound of footsteps audible a little while ago subsides. Gun is not sure if he should sigh in relief but the steady humming of the stream inside the cave rings in his ear keeping his fear alive and going. 

He is freaking out alright, the only thing that is saving his sanity is his proximity with Off whose gaze wanders all around the place except Gun's presence, with caution,  with fear and Gun on the contrary only orients his eyes on Off's presence looking for a solace, an assurance that they both are safe. 

When Off finally looks at Gun who is trapped inside his arms with his back to the wall of the cave, Gun could see worry written all over his face. The look of concern in that kind eyes for Gun's safety as if Gun is too precious to lose reveals a heart wrenching kind of truth that Gun wanted to know a while ago. 

"Gun tell me the truth. Are you a fairy?'' The inescapable look on Off's face while he asks that important question makes it impossible for Gun to say yes because he is sure as hell that his voice would betray him and expose a vulnerability to Off that he is not certain he should show yet. So he nods instead. 

"You could have told me..'' There's no accusation or complaint in Off's tone, only a guilt that Gun knows Off need not carry. It's his own fault after all. He should have listened to New's warnings or better still, if he stuck to those rules that he ridiculed with annoyance he wouldn't be in this situation. Off wouldn't be in this situation. 

"I'm sorry.'' He says as if his apology could be of any use to Off. He lowers his gaze, away from those worried eyes in guilt and shame. 

"Gun'' 

Off 's voice is so soft, a tone Gun is quite not used to hearing from a garrulous loud voiced entertainer like Off. 

"Gun, my sweet little Gun, I need you to look at me.'' That is the cue. Large drops of tears cascading down his cheeks fall,  blending with the stream of cool water soundless and voiceless. 

He gathers whatever strength he has in his body and throws himself at Off, wrapping his arms around Off's broad shoulders and pressing his face in Off's chest. 

"It's Ok. It's Ok. You are scared. I'm scared. But it's going to be ok'' Off coos near his ears, such simple words of reassurance melt his heart further and further. 

These waters of the stream are so unforgiving against the exposed skin below his knees. A numbness seeps into his legs but as Off's thumb circles around Gun's cheek, a warmth steadily rises in his body fighting against the coldness of the cave stream. 

Off cradles Gun's chin in his hand gently, the feather-like touch of it makes Gun swoon in anticipation despite the fear that rocked his whole soul a little while ago. Moments lapse, the passing of time rarely gets registered in Gun's mind, all he could feel is Off's touch.

Off speaks by touch when he leans forward and presses their lips together.  Gun finds himself drawn into Off's touch, leaning closer and closer to the extent where escape is no longer possible. Gun has always thought Off has a woodland scent but now as he tastes Off for the first time he feels like he can taste the freshness of  newly sprout leaves mingled with the ancientness of age old trees ever standing without tire.  A strange sensation runs through his body absorbing all of those wonders little by little, slowly and steadily. 

Off's free hand slides down his arm slightly and finds its final resting place near the base of Gun's now invisible wings. Gun feels the way those curious wings flutter in rapid succession coming to contact with Off's fingertips and if only he could just show Off what his touch is doing to him..  

"This is not how I planned to do this… under different circumstances I would have not ……….......'' Off pulls himself back reluctantly unable to keep the thought that ringed in his head from spilling out.  

 I would have not let go. I would have not let you go. Gun panics as he formulates the sentence that Off left incomplete deliberately. 

"Now listen to me. I'll distract the hunter for you. You should make a run for it.'' Even now, Off thinks of Gun's safety at his own expense that Gun feels the urge to protest against such a suggestion strongly. 

"No. I can't leave you...It's too dangerous.'' Gun can only say. 

"He's not after me, Gun. You know that.'' Off is trying to win him over with his arguments, his voice sounding hoarse, desperate yet determined. 

"But..''

"It's far too dangerous for him to catch you Gun. Hunters will destroy all of you, each one of you. So please just once listen to me.''  Gun feels weak in the face of Off's  pleading. He clutches his chest.

This is the reality, the reality he has been trying to defy ever since he lay his eyes on Off, the one person who matters to him the most right at the moment. He has failed Off,  as of now he has to choose between this endearingly selfless human and the whole of the fairy realm who doesn't give a damn about his happiness.   He does not want to abandon Off and if possible he'll just entwine his hands with Off's and let him take him wherever he wants to, even if it is to the edge of the world.

Although on the other side,  he can not get caught and become a bait that will lead other fairies to danger. That is the kind of duty that he has been imparted with by Nature and the kind of duty Off expects him to perform and so he does. He doesn't want to disappoint Off any more than he already did. 

"Will you be safe?'' Despite his resolve, his voice wavers like he is being strangled by the cruel wind that flows through the cave opening. 

"Yes yes I promise. I have to go''  Off places a quick kiss on his forehead and slips away without turning like it is the last time. 

He feels like a ship losing its anchor, he could sink at any time now.  Maybe it's because of the water knee deep, it created such an illusion and he feels it real. He waits soaking himself in cold water shedding his tears until he is reduced into nothing but an empty vessel of a body that is not even his true form.

 There's only one thing he should do right now. To stand up and make his escape, putting his trust on Off.  To trust  Off that he won't be reckless enough to put himself in danger trying to thwart any danger that stands in Gun's way. 

Please stay alive for my sake. 

To trust Off that he'll keep his promise.