16. I'm tired

Finding Off should have never been a problem for him.  Gun wonders why he had fussed about it in the first place. The place where they used to spend the nights together is out of the question because as of now Off would try his best to avoid any encounter with Gun. That leaves Gun the second option, the Whitethorn tree. 

Gun is not wrong. He finds Off sitting leaned against the tree with hands supporting his head, draping misery as a blanket around him as if that could drive away the cold of the night. 

The Off that Gun knows is all for chaotic cheerfulness and not this plaguing sorrow given a human form. It's not that Gun has an issue with silent sad people, it only doesn't suit Off and this transformation is scary to an extent akin to murdering one's soul. 

So he shouts, Off jolts awake from his trance and his hand immediately reaches  for the firearm. A habit, a reflex action which is quite telling about Off's current pathetic state. 

It's more pathetic when Off is trying to flee from Gun again. His quick steps won't work now because Gun runs into him immediately, in his human form he is capable of stopping Off although he is not strong enough if Off tries to jostle him away. Hopefully Off won't manhandle Gun and that works for Gun's advantage.

He grabs the firearm that Off had tucked in his trousers and in his sheer rage throws it as far away as possible despite Off's protest. A reckless move that brings anger to Off's eyes in an instant but instead of lashing out Off purses his lips and walks away as if he's done with all of this. 

In panic, Gun clumsily throws himself at Off's retreating figure, clutching both of his arms and pulling Off towards him. Every minute he loses in action,he could feel Off drifting away from him. 

 Off stops, that slight hesitation is enough for Gun that he slides his arms along Off's chest and tightens his grip. Presses himself closer in a back hug and it's better because this way he couldn't see the anger burning in Off's eyes. 

The night wind is very dry, not calming or soothing, swirling around them giving a  clear warning that they should find a warm shelter and cuddle with each other instead of standing in the open, helpless and scared. 

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to..'' Gun nuzzles his face against Off's back.  He unconsciously bites Off's  soft shirt in an effort not to let out an ugly sob but tears well up in his eyes betraying his purpose. Hot tears start to wet Off's shirt. 

He could feel the gentle caress of fingertips over his hands, drawing soothing patterns. It's warm and protective. It's Off trying to console him without words. 

"I don't know what to do.. I'm hurting you.'' Off says at last. 
These words are more unsettling than the  words Off had spoken in anger during their previous encounters because they came out in an impulse, not planned properly and therefore executed poorly. What he says now is something that has been bothering him for long, a truth admitted and a prelude to an unhappy ending. 

"And I'm hurting you…..Can we stop hurting each other? '' Gun tries hard to keep his voice from shaking. 

"I'm sorry.'' Off's apology. It could mean either that he apologized for whatever harsh words he had blurted out at Gun earlier or that he apologized because he genuinely thinks they can't stop hurting each other.  
Gun doesn't understand. 
But before he could understand, Off jolts,  taking Gun by surprise and manages to escape from Gun's tight hold. 

"No Off. You can't do this to me. You can't do this to us.'' 
"Don't listen to their lies.''  Gun panics 

He has no choice but to scream at Off if that's what it takes to knock some sense into his stubborn head, he could scream all he wants, at the top of his voice, yelling until his lungs are worn-out. If only Off would just listen...why is he not listening? 

His yelling doesn't get Off's attention but unfortunately he has attracted the attention of an unwanted visitor. In the dark, both these unhappy lovers have failed to notice two sharp eyes that had been following their movements closely. 

Those demon eyes loom with a savage desire when the hunter finally makes his move. 

Fear, terror and disgust coil around Gun's body as he stays motionless being held captive under strong arms wrapping around him like snakes. He struggles only to have those arms tighten their hold around him. There's a sharp and dangerous pressure grazing his neck, he didn't dare to check what it was. Off's bewildered eyes are enough to show him that he is under the mercy of a knife. 

"Leave him alone.'' Off growls when he recollects his wits, when he finally realizes the blunder he had made by not being vigilant. 

"Why? This is such a priceless gift. He smells so good… like a fairy.'' The man sniffs, very close to Gun's earlobe that Gun feels his nausea acting up. 

"I bet this is the prize I was promised by that sneaky old fairy. I would have snatched that one for my collection but he promised me that I'll find more precious and young ones if I followed you. I see how precious this is.'' The man snickers that Gun only wishes he shouldn't have thrown Off's firearm away as Off looks so defenseless with panic stricken eyes in front of him.  

"After all,  you have done far more damage to us for these little creatures, it's only fair if I take at least one from you.'' The man demands. 

"No no. Leave him. Please. I'll do whatever you want.'' Off is pleading and Gun feels pity. 

"Oh.. the smell of young love in the air? This was your weakness all along? How stupid!'' The man cackles like he had made a marvellous discovery, like it is something to laugh about. 

His words seem to unnerve Off that he tries to reach for Gun. His eyes flickering from Gun's eyes to the knife that threatens to claim Gun's neck. 

"Don't you dare take another step forward if you want to see this little one alive.'' The man warns with a clear intention. 

"If he gets as much as a tiny scratch, consider yourself dead.'' Off threatens with equal ferocity and there is not an ounce of lie in his eyes. 

"Let's see about that..'' It's a dry wind that passes by that makes the man shiver and he  loses the grip on the knife he was holding so close to Gun's neck and it slips falling into the ground. 

Gun takes this distraction to his advantage and jams his elbow desperately with sheer force into the man's chest, making him  screech in pain. 

The man makes the mistake of shoving Gun harder, making him bleed a little when his head hit the ground. Gun becomes painfully aware of Off's voice calling his name, it sounds hurt. He wants to return his calling and say that he's fine but he fails to bring himself into full awareness for a while.

There's a shout and he could feel Off spinning around and landing blows on the man with his clenched fist like he had lost all control. The man tries to dodge his punches vehemently but all in vain, he couldn't match the feral intensity in which Off attacks him. 

Only when he finds Off strangling the man with a fierce rage that Gun gets his voice back. 
"Enough. That's enough Off.'' 

The man scrambles like a frightened chicken having burnt its claws and its dignity along with it. The badly bruised face has replaced the mocking one he wore earlier. 

'"Leave us alone…… please.'' The man doesn't deserve the pleading but Gun offers it to him anyway. He'll do anything to keep Off from tainting his hands again for their sake. He feels relieved when the man runs away, probably considering Off as some sort of a demon left unbridled in the world. It's a relief anyway. 

He holds Off's callused fingers close to his heart, Off never let him see these wounds, perhaps he had never intended to show and now when he is too weary to hide himself, he has dropped all his guard, shifting close to Gun seeking warmth and comfort. 

"I'm tired.'' Gun hears Off's whisper caught in  between ragged breathing and sobs. 

Gun waits for these tremors to subdue, Off is so fragile under his touches, sniffing like a little child woken up by terrible nightmares. 

Gun gathers him up in his arms and softly whispers near Off's earlobe  "I know. That's why I'm here.''