Chapter 10

"Dave?" Sara ran down the stairs. She was home for the weekend to set up the final details for their mother's birthday that Sunday.

"Yeah?" It sounded from his childhood home. She opened the door and looked inside. The room had changed since David had first moved out: where a king-sized bed stood where a single bed used to be and the walls no longer showed posters of rock bands and models. It had all changed overtime when he met Jasmin. First, the models had disappeared, then the rock bands followed. When they had gotten married, the single bed doubled so they could stay weekends and sleep in one bed as well.

They were still very much in love. At least Sara's parents had taught the right way of living in marriage to one of their kids as Sara had turned out to be a huge disappointment in that aspect.

"Help." She stood in the doorframe with a pleading look in her eyes. "I just came off the phone with Ilona again." David deeply inhaled he had a feeling where it was going after the phone call he received about one and a half weeks back. "She is refusing not to throw a surprise party. It is going to be there and we both know how mum is going to react to that." David nodded.

"Let me handle it. I know you could do it if it weren't for your ex-husband's mother. Don't stress it. I'll be very strict. We are not having a surprise party." He kissed his sister's cheek and took his phone. "Just send me her number. I'll block her afterwards, or she might just start calling me all of the time." Sara chuckled and did as she was asked to. Anything to not have to talk to Ilona again.

"Can you pick up Leon from school? He asked whether you could do so this morning." Leon, Sara's little nephew loved his aunt. Mostly because she always spoiled him. Whenever she would pick him up, they would always go do things like getting ice cream or get a toy.

"I'd love to." Sara was about to walk away when David stopped her.

"But please, no ice cream, candy or toys this time, okay?" Sara nodded, but as they would do as a kid, she held her fingers crossed behind her back. She was going to get him something. She loved the kid with all of her heart and doing things like that was her way of showing how much she did. She walked away, a grin on her face. "And I know you had your fingers crossed! You are not going to spoil him to death!"

"I won't. I will spoil him just about enough to get him there, but not fully!"

"Sara Alice Dubois, you won't!" Before David could say anything else, Sara closed the front door behind her. She walked to her car and got in behind the wheel before David could follow her. The front door of the house did open but it wasn't David who walked out, it was Martin the second kid of the family in which Sara was the youngest.

"What are you up to?" He got into the car as well. Martin had never really grown up. He was twenty-six but behaved like a sixteen-year-old.

"I'm picking up Leon from school."

"So where else are we going? Because I want to join. I heard mum was bringing Ilona over, I am not going to be here for that." Sara scrunched up her nose. She was going to stay away until Ilona was gone. "Honestly, how did you live with her as your mother in law."

"I tried to avoid it as much as possible but I failed nine out of ten times." Sara put the car in reverse and got off the driveway. "But now I'm not family anymore, I have the perfect excuse to stay the hell away from her." Leon's school was just under an hour away from Malmedy where the Dubois' still lived in the house they raised their children in.

Jasmin, David's wife was still at work in the hospital half an hour away from the school, besides, she wouldn't be off for a couple more hours.

"I heard you got back together with Pierre and Anthoine." Martin looked at his little sister who immediately started to smile.