Bye Bye

Lorenzo

"Come to Italy with me."

Victorias eyes grew wider than I had ever seen them before. She started to speak, her words only coming out in stutters, resulting in the ice-cream cone trembling in her hold.

I reach out, taking the ice-cream cone from her hands. "Let's not waste ice-cream kitten."

She breathes out, grabbing the two chains on her side of the swing. She didn't say anything, only faced forward. Her hair covering most of her face.

She sniffled and I moved the ice-cream to my other hand.

I place my free hand on top of hers, "Kitten?" and she finally faced me. There was a sheen of gloss covering her eyes, and it broke a little part of me. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to make you cry. I would never want to make you upset."

Her small soft laughter through her tears interrupted me. She shook her head and gave me a small smile. "That's maybe the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me."

I returned a smile, but it faded away after what she said next.

"But I couldn't come, I don't want to bother you while you're on your mission."

I sigh, "I'm not going there just for the mission, and it would be so much more fun if you were there. Also, I'm shit when it comes to birthday gifts, so I don't think this is too bad."

A tear rolled down her face, and I stood up from the swings, "Please don't cry-"

My words were interrupted from her hug. Her hands wrapped around me, and I used one of my arms to massage her back, trying not to get any ice-cream on her.

"L-Lorenzo, you're one of the nicest people I have ever met. I don't know what I did to deserve you. I don't deserve you."

I rested my chin on top of her head, "Kitten, you deserve the world and more. And I will always be here for you."

"You're the best." She said, now looking up at me.

I moved my hand from her back to her face, wiping the tear that was about to roll down her face. Leaning down, I gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I think you should start packing, we're leaving in a couple of days."

Her face broke out into the biggest smile, and she hugged me again but this time squeezing the life out of me. 

"Wow. You're going to kill me." Trying to strain my voice.

She giggled and jumped back, taking her ice-cream from my hands. 

"This is the best day ever!" 

I chuckled and threw my arm around her shoulders, as we walked through the park, back on the path. 

"You ever been to Italy?" I ask.

"Nope, never even left America. New York is the only place I really know. Apart from when me and my friends went to West Virginia randomly."

"Why West Virginia?"

"My best friend was obsessed with going to see the Seneca Rocks. But it was very beautiful, a change from New York."

"Since when are people obsessed with the Seneca Rocks?"

"The first and only book she read, mentioned the Seneca Rocks, and she was obsessed with that book. It was based mostly all in West Virgina, so when we arrived there, she said it felt like home."

"Where do you feel at home?" I asked.

She was quiet for a moment, "Nowhere really. New York is all I have ever known, and it wasn't the good side."