The New Girl

Alessandro and the girl walked up to us, and she had a huge grin on her face. I looked up at Alessandro, a nude color stained his cheek in the shape of lips. The same lipstick color that the girl was wearing.

She extended a handout to me first, "Hi, my name is Fiamma."

I struggled to give her a friendly smile but nonetheless I succeeded and extended my hand to shake hers. "I'm Victoria. It's nice to meet you."

She flashed a smile, "Likewise."

Fiamma then placed her attention on Lorenzo who was right next to me and gave him a short hug.

"I haven't seen you in so long Lorenzo." She said before she broke the hug and shook Niccolò's hand.

"How have you been?" Lorenzo asked Fiamma.

"I finally finished my degree so it's all going well." She replied.

"What was your degree on?" Niccolò asked as he took a sip from the flute glass of champagne.

"Veterinary science," Fiamma responded.

"That's amazing," Niccolò replied.

"Aw thank you." She said.

"Are you thirsty?" Alessandro asked Fiamma.

She nodded her head.

"Let's go to the bar to get you something," Alessandro said.

"Oh there's someone right there with champagne," I say pointing over to a man who held a silver tray balancing multiple glasses of champagne.

"I don't drink but thank you. I'll see you guys around," Fiamma said to the group before she left off with Alessandro.

"I'm going to say hello to Nicola and Riccardo so see you guys around," Lorenzo said as he walked to another side of the room.

It was now just me and Niccolò. My shoulders dropped and I sighed. "Tell me, what even was that?"

Niccolò tucked his hands in his pockets, "I've never been close with her so I don't know that much."

"Is she a cousin?" I asked hopeful.

"Nope, she is a family friend." Niccolò replied.

"I thought things were going well with me and Alessandro. But then Fiamma walks in and that's all gone. And look at her, she looks like she hasn't done anything bad in this world. She's smart, she has a degree, she doesn't even drink. If that's what Alessandro likes then I'm a bit fucked." I down the champagne that was left in my cup.

Niccolò sighs as he takes the now empty glass from my hand and places it on a tray passing by. He finished off his champagne in a sip and put his on the tray too before the man was back on the move.

He placed both his hands on my shoulders, "You are the most gorgeous woman here, ok? I mean come on; you know what I said a while ago. That champagne colored dress is not champagne, its piss. How can you even be next to someone with a dress like that."

I looked into his eyes, and then shut my eyes tight. "Thanks Niccolò. You're practically my Fairy Godfather. I think that's what I might start calling you soon."

"I'm better than a fairy godfather because the dress won't disappear at midnight." A smile pulled on his lips.

I giggled, "You're right. You're better. Now I need something just a bit stronger than champagne."

"Hell yeah, let's go to the bar." He said before he threw his arm over my shoulders and we began to walk towards the bar.

We arrived at the bar, and ordered some drinks.