𝐈𝐈. Caught

┍━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┑

CAUGHT

┕━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┙

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

WHEN THEY AT long last come upon the fields where the tracks are freshest, the sky is scorching. The January sun somehow is still warm, oozing through the sparse clouds, streaking the fronds of grass dull gold. But beyond the honey fields stretch more woods, and beyond that, only depthless darkness.

Bellamy's boots stomp in the bracken as their unit continues to move, his fist curled around his rifle. His features are twisted in frustrated focus, eyebrows drawn darkly across his forehead.

Charles Pike has taken charge of the search. The beacon they'd found had belonged to Farm Station, who had tracked them down and attacked them, assuming they were Grounders. When they realized who they were ━━ thanks to Monty's Farm Station mother, Hannah ━━ stopped Pike. Upon hearing that Lyra and Clarke were in danger, the Farm Station leader, former Earth Skills teacher Charles Pike, immediately dropped everything and joined the rescue team. Leave no one behind, he'd declared.

Whatever. Bellamy's just grateful for the extra guns. Besides, he's sure Lyra'll be happy to see Pike. He's a teacher and she likes weird smart people stuff like that.

Noah marches side-by-side with Bellamy, his back rigid, rifle clasped in his hand.

Swallowing thickly, Bellamy looks to the woods opposite of the sergeant. "Sir, I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" Noah echoes, turning to him. "What for?"

"For. . . for Lyra," Bellamy somehow manages, though the words stick in his throat like glue. "I should have tried harder to keep her at Arkadia. Should've told her it wasn't her fault. I should've - I should've done something - I - "

"Hey, it's all right," assures Noah. "It's all right, son."

Bellamy is nothing short of stunned as Noah reaches out a hand, squeezing the boy's shoulder gently. His typically stony features seem to soften for a moment, his eyes swimming with unreadable emotion.

"Her mom raised her to be good. Doing what she did in Mount Weather. . . I think it really messed with her head, even if it was for the greater good," continues Noah lowly. "But that's the thing that makes Lyra Lyra. She always gets back up."