𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈: Riding Lightning

┍━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┑

RIDING LIGHTNING

┕━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┙

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Imma be deadass w y'all,
the chapters in the lab r probably some of my worst writing ever LMAO

I SWEAR IT GETS BETTER, J WAIT UNTIL LJ GETS BACK TO POLIS

          LYRA'S GOT HIGH HOPES for this whole nightblood thing.

Her holy shit when she saw Becca's labs might have been a bit of an under reaction. Becca's labs are by far the coolest thing she's ever seen. Much like Becca's station in space ━━ the thirteenth Ark station that was blown out of the sky, Polaris ━━ it is all glossy white and shimmering blues. Everything is high tech, sleek and advanced. Spotless. Computers upon computers with monitors and so much high-tech equipment that Lyra could cry. This is better than anything she could have ever hoped for on the Ark and she found it here, in the middle of an apocalyptic and war-torn planet.

     "Computer," calls Lyra cheerfully as she bounds up the steps of the lofted lab. "Show me through radiation detection software available for the drone fleet in VHDL."

     An enormous monitor spanning the back wall flickers to life. VHDL id a hardware description language and it models the behaviour and structure of the digital systems of the drones at multiple levels of abstraction. This ranges from the system level down to that of logical gates.

     Pen and spiral notebook in hand ━━ a spare notebook that had belonged to Becca once, Lyra thinks giddily ━━ Lyra comes to the flat-top, faultless table that Abby and Jackson are at. Abby uses an enormous microscope to peer at nightblood cell samples from Luna. Jackson is typing something furiously into a keyboard as the monitor before him keeps up easily.

     "LJ, you seeing this?" Raven calls from the main floor of the lab. "FPGA prototypes for stabilisation!"

     She's talking about the drones. Lyra scribbles that down. "I'm seeing it!"

     "God, Becca was good," Jackson is saying to Abby. "Nightblood was designed to help the human body not reject the AI and protect it against radiation emitted from the device. That's why it saved Luna."

     "That's why it'll save us all," responds Abby, hyper-focused on the samples. "If we can figure out how she made these cells combine."

     Lyra peeks over at Jackson's monitor. "Well, it looks like Becca was experimenting with perfluorochemicals, oxygenated. Y'know, the building blocks of artificial blood."

      "I know what they are," Abby retorts snappishly. Then she pauses. "When did you become an expert molecular biology?"

     "Last night," says Lyra casually.

     Abby and Jackson stare at her.

     "What?" Lyra asks defensively. "I'm allowed to do a little bit of light reading."