Part Ten

Beast man appeared through the other side of the portal and bowed deeply to his master, who sat on a throne carved from the walls of his palace. Yes, it was a serviceable throne. It wasn't too comfortable for extended periods, but Skeletor had grown accustomed to discomfort since his face had been melted off by a demon. A hard chair didn't even compare to the sheer agony of feeling his flesh melt away. His face was all bones now. All well; such was life.

"I didn't win," Beast-Man said, sounding sullen.

Skeletor waved his hand dismissively. "You'll live."

The beast man looked up at him, a hint of confusion in his eyes. He seemed surprised by his master's answer. Well he shouldn't be. Skeletor was in a foul mood, and berating the man would be doing him too great a kindness. He didn't have the heart today.

"I beat the warrior girl and her two little friends," Beast-Man said. "I was defeated by a glowing man with a sword."

Now wasn't that interesting. Skeletor would have to look into that.

"What happened to Trap-Jaw and Two-Face?" Skeletor asked.

"They were both badly injured. Knocked unconscious." Beast-Man turned his eyes out. "I left them in the ally."

Skeletor searched within him for some kind of feeling, and he found nothing there. "Well, maybe they'll show up at some point, but I doubt it would be so great a loss if they didn't. They're both just a couple of bleating buffoons, after all."

"Yes, I'm sure we could find replacements," said a silky voice to his left. "I know a place that's practically infested with them."

Ah yes, Evie. She always understood him in a way that none of his other underlings ever could. The sorceress had the same lust for power that he did. He was quite fond of her.

"Yes indeed, Evelyn. Do you speak of those crustacean men down south of here?" Skeletor needed more sacrificial goats for his plans.

"I do," the sorceress replied, flipping her long coils of silver white hair over her shoulder. "And a few others. Every island is filled with pawns to be used."

Skeletor chuckled softly, then turned his attention to a door left of him, through which a man had just entered.

"Ah, Tri-Klops," he said, "how goes the negotiations with our 'guest'."

The man's visor swiveled around, changing his eye-color from red to blue. "Not good," he said, heaving a sigh. "Not good at all."

"Is the bird-boy still acting like an overgrown child?" Evie asked with a sneer. "Although, you're not much better in that regard."

Tri-Klops ignored her. He usually did. "I'll be lucky if I can make him do anything I say, let alone use his powers for us," he said, shaking his head.

"You're too soft," Beast-Man growled. "Use force."

"Or torture," Evie said, black eyes glinting. "I always do, and the results are always so... satisfying." She said that last word like she thought it was delicious, and Skeletor hungered to hear her speak more.

"Well, you two, if you're so full of ideas then be my guest!" Tri-Klops said, folding his arms. "Use them."

Beast-Man and Evie looked at each other, both smiling like predators. They both got up and headed out the door Tri-Klops had entered through.

"Tri-Klops," Skeletor said once they were gone.

"What?" The man said, still folding his arms and frowning.

"Do your drones work across dimensions?" Skeletor asked, drumming his fingers.

"I'm not sure," the man answered, tilting his head.

"Well, I think we ought to test that out," Skeletor said. "It's not every day Beast-Man loses a fight. I want to find out more about this man who defeated him."

Tri-Klops nodded, then left the room. Skeletor was left alone—or as alone as he ever could be. He was never truly alone anymore, not since that day. Skeletor gazed at his staff, which bore the skull of the goat he had slain so many years ago; That act had given him power beyond anything his brother's wildest dreams, power far greater than anything his brother could ever hope to have. And yet, it still wasn't enough. He needed more power, as much of it as the first one's themselves possessed.

Would he ever be able to obtain that power? He smiled to himself. There was only one way to find out.