Chapter 18

Entrapta watched with wide eyes as Kyle took down the shadow beast, making a mental record of everything he was doing. It had been so worth it to leave the cave and look for him. Entrapta was glad she'd stayed in the forest so she could see this. The sword was incredible. Kyle looked twice as strong as before, though his fighting itself could use a bit of work. She'd have to figure out how to fix that later.

Kyle shouted loudly and jumped onto the beast, driving his sword into its skull. The beast disintegrated. She made a mental note to herself. The sword stopped glowing once Kyle hit the ground. He looked exhausted.

"Fascinating," she breathed. This was all so exciting. So this was the power of the sword. 

Kyle stood, and headed off into the forest. Entrapta followed. She was glad she'd followed the sounds coming from the wood. It was lucky that Kyle had made so much noise. 

There was one thing that bothered her though. The sword wasn't First-One's tech. The tech had stopped moving at a cave int the forest, but when she got there, it was only her bag. The detector didn't pick up signals from the sword at all. It was a mystery. Entrapta had assumed that the spread out signal was due to how much tech was in the woods, but there was still an inaccurate signal coming from the place she and the rest of the team had been searching. If the powerful signal hadn't come from the sword, then what was it coming from? And why was the signal so inaccurate. She wanted answers.

Sadly, those answers would all have to wait a while. She continued to follow Kyle through the woods. He'd stop every now and then to fight a shadow beast, and she would analyze his performance. The sword seemed to follow the wielders commands as if it was following the person's will itself, not their movements. A normal weapon would have built in mechanisms you would have to operate manually, but the sword didn't have any of that. It would brighten when it needed to, and darken when it didn't.

It also seemed like the sword was telling Kyle what to do, rather than Kyle telling it. The sword, it seemed, was a power of it's own. Entrapta had found something as powerful as first one's tech.

Kyle kept glancing behind him, and Entrapta had to keep ducking out of sight. She didn't want him knowing she was following him. Not yet.

Kyle slowed his pace after something like his tenth major battle with a shadow beat. He stopped, panting from exhaustion. So the sword didn't protect it's user from fatigue.

Just then, a voice came through the forest that Entrapta recognized. She'd been yelling nonsense at the rebellion a while ago. "How long do you intend to keep this up Hero?"

Kyle glared in the direction of the voice. Then he followed it.

"Really? You still seek me out? Do you not grow tired of this chase? I, for one, am rather board."

"Then why not come out and face me now you witch!?" Kyle shouted. "Stop hiding in the shadows like a coward!"

Kyle was shaking. His words didn't match up. Kyle hated conflict, and yet here he was seeking it out. Entrapta wondered if that was the sword talking.

"You have your wish."

Shadow weaver appeared in front of him. He recoiled slightly, then straightened. "So, you're done playing games now?" he said, exuding fake confidence. Entrapta could tell he was fighting the urge to run.

"Not hardly," Shadow -Weaver said, a ring of shadows rising around her. 

Entrapta barely dared to breath as she slowly pulled her device from her pockets. Her excitement brimmed, as she held it up, and started recording.