Chapter 23

Bow returned to the infirmary, wondering if Kyle had woken up yet. The queen had been right to be worried. He and Glimmer had just spoken to her the night before, and her words still rang in his head.

"We must be prepared for anything. She-Ra's gone, and now that boy is out of action as well. We must prepare ourselves for the worst. You must be ready if there is another attack."

Bow hated how right she was. He hated that the rebellion relied so much on a couple of super strong fighters. He felt so useless. Adora was gone now and all he could do was search for her and hope she came back. And Kyle was badly injured. All Bow could do for him was hope the blood he'd given him would be enough to bring him back to action in time for another fight. 

Kyle hadn't woken up yet. It had been nearly one day and he still hadn't woken up. The doctor wouldn't be right every time, but it made no difference. Seeing Kyle in his current state made Bow feel sick to his stomach with worry. He was the rebellions best defense against the hoard.

But he was more than that. He was a friend. All Bow had wanted was for Kyle to find some place where he could be happy. That was the real reason he'd brought him back to Bright-Moon. Kyle had been through so much back at the hoard, and he seemed so unhappy. Bow wasn't sure Kyle even knew what being happy felt like. He didn't have any real friends. No one to talk to, no one to rely on. Bow couldn't fathom how alone Kyle must have felt.

And even though he knew that it was stupid, he felt responsible for Kyle's current state. He'd been the one to push Kyle to become that hero when Kyle had insisted he couldn't do it. He was the one who brought Kyle to Bright-Moon. Maybe Kyle would have been better off with Entrapta and the rest of the hoard....

But it was only a small part of him that felt that way. After all, before Kyle had raised the sword and been transformed by its power, he'd seemed confident. For the first time since Bow had met him, he'd trusted himself enough to take that step. Bow didn't want that confidence to suffer because of his injury.

"Please wake up," Bow whispered. He needed to know that Kyle was okay. He needed to be certain that Kyle wasn't going to fade away, and that he was going to be alright. 

Kyle shifted, and Bow stood, wondering if he'd imagined it. Then Kyle's eyes fluttered open and he shifted his gaze towards Bow.

"Bow?" he muttered. 

Bow sighed with relief. He felt himself smiling. Kyle was going to be okay.