09. Dream of you, almost every night

2:30 am. Adaline sits outside her apartment complex waiting for a boy she's never met before.

What led to this turn of events? A stupid love or host and a tour of a minecraft server. Accepting the invite to be in MCC. Adaline brings her knees up to her chest and hugs herself despite the sweatshirt she's already wearing.

A car pulls up to her and Adaline quickly reaches for the lanyard around her neck and the pepper spray on it, ready to attack whoever is pulling up to a girl alone at 2:30 am. The window rolls down and a blonde haired guy stares at her.

      "Hey," he says.

      "Clay?" Adaline answers. It had been, what? Ten minutes since he said he was on his way? Three minutes since she had walked out the door? She recognizes his voice, albeit it's a little bit more tired sounding, a bit deeper, in person but it has to be him.

      "Yeah." He says, and waves his hand for her to get in the car.

      "Prove it," Adaline knows better than to just hop in the car with a stranger no matter if she thinks she recognizes his voice. "Text me."

"What?" Clay responds, taken aback by the odd request. "Okay, whatever makes you feel safer."

Clay

It's me

Adaline looks down at the message and then back up at him. He doesn't look how she expected him too. He's a lot paler than she originally pictured, probably due to all the sitting in a room gaming, and his hair is a lot fluffier, a lot more unruly than she imagined. Then again, it's not like she really put too much thought into what he looks like until ten minutes ago.

She stands up and walks over to the passenger side, hesitating with her hand on the door handle before getting in.

      "How'd you get here so fast?" Adaline wonders as she buckles her seat belt and Clay starts driving.

      "Speeding," he answers bluntly.

Adaline half-laughs half-scoffs at that. Of course he speeds at two in the morning to get here. What else did she expect from him?

It's weird, seeing him. On the phone she doesn't need to think about what she looks like or how she's holding herself. Here though, in person, in his car, she's worrying about it.

She looks over at him, his eyes focused on the round and just stares for a few seconds without realizing it. A boy she's only ever known online. Somehow it's just hitting her now, as they drive away from her apartment complex that she's in a car with Dream. Someone she's admired from afar for...Awhile, before they even started talking to each other. More importantly, she's in the car with Clay. Her friend.

      "What?" He laughs, not turning to look at her. Adaline turns away, looking out the mirror on her side instead.

      "Nothing, nothing," she excuses.

      "If you want to say something about my face, you can." Clay replies.

Adaline rolls her eyes. "That it's ugly? Alright."

      "Hey! You're not allowed to insult me!" Clay laughs, shaking his head.

      "Right," Adaline scoffs, rolling her eyes again.

It's a different kind of easy, talking to him in his car. Not easier than over the phone but...Easy. Simple, smooth, flowing.

      "Where are we going?" Adaline asks as they pull onto an empty freeway. Despite her overwhelming trust in the driver, he is, above all, some random guy she met on the internet. If she were to get murdered she didn't tell her roommates that she left.