14. Invitation to dance

"You're planning on leaving like, right after college?" Clay asks. They're on the phone while he drives to her apartment (very unsafe) and she changes into a costume. Her and the girls

decided it would be the funniest thing in the world to make 'dream team' costumes.

      "I mean yeah. Somewhere cold, it's been the plan since sophomore year. Madi's idea, actually." Adaline feels just a bit weird changing while on the phone with Clay but nevertheless she changes into the outfit she put together with her friends.

      "Damn, leave me behind like that." Clay laughs.

      "It won't be for another few years. I'll talk to you when you get here, bye." Adaline hangs up before he can say anything else. She'd rather not have to deal with thinking about leaving him again.

Leaving her room, Adaline sees Maira and Madi already sitting in the living room. Their outfits are all matching, Adaline's is a dark green tank top that's just a bit too tight on her with high waisted black shorts, combat boots and a paper plate smiley face mask clipped into her hair. Madi's is a white tank top with makeshift paper blames clipped onto it, black shorts, combat boots, and a white bandana around her hair. Maira's is a blue tank top with George's little logo thing on it, black shorts, combat boots, and clout goggles that they bought at Spencer's. They look good.

What really surprises Adaline is Dante sitting on the couch with Madi. They just have a ripped shirt and zombie makeup on but it's more than Adaline was expecting to see of them. She wasn't expecting to see them at all, as a matter of fact. Maybe the two of them made up? Or maybe they're just getting over it for tonight since Clay is coming over?

Before Adaline can get a word out there's a knock at the door. And upon opening it, a blonde haired man in a black button up with flames on it is standing outside of her apartment door. Is Clay dressed as...Guy Fieri? She's in no place to judge. She's literally dressed up as him, and it's just hitting her how weird it must be to go over to your friends house for Halloween and she's literally you. Is going to think she's creepy? Is this considered creepy?

      "Oh my god," Clay marvels, staring at her. "Are you...Me? Adaline...That is so cool. I love the mask."

Adaline relaxes, stepping aside to let him in. "Thanks. We thought it would be funny."

      "That's because it is," Madi untangles herself from Dante's arm and sticks her hand out to Clay (who is astronomically taller than her, it's a funny sight) "Madi. Nice to meet you."

      "Clay, I think we've spoken before." Clay shakes the girls hand and then looks over her to wave at Dante and Maira. Maira obviously waves back, extremely excited that Adaline is finally bringing a friend over for once.

      "Bathroom is over there and the kitchen is right there, we're ordering pizza but if you want anything help yourself. I think when it gets a bit later we're going to get out some hard alcohol but there's some beer and shitty white claw in the fridge."

      "Hey, the white claw isn't shitty-" Dante protests as they hop up to get one for themselves. "Anyone want anything while I'm over here?"

      "I'll take a white claw," Adaline says, catching the one Dante sends flying towards her. Clay gives her a slightly surprised and mostly amused expression. "What?"

      "You don't strike me as the kind of person to drink." Clay replies. He watches her struggle to open the can for a good ten seconds before taking it and opening it himself and handing it back to her.

      "Only with these guys." Adaline takes a seat on the couch followed by Clay sitting down next to her. "Consider yourself lucky."

       "Oh come on now." Clay rolls his eyes. Dante sits back down on the couch with Madi so now it's Adaline, Clay, Dante and Madi on the couch with Maira sitting on the busted up armchair that they got a yard sale.