28. It's Okay.

January 10th.

Adaline's first date. Ever. Never once in her life has she been this nervous about hanging out with a friend before.

They decided to keep it casual. A trip to the park, they each bring some food for the picnic, a sort of Clay and Adaline pot roast of possibilities. She rifles through her closet an hour before she even has to leave for the date (she insisted that she meet up with him at the park instead of him driving her), looking for the perfect outfit. Everything has to be perfect, she needs this to go perfectly. Her anxiety won't have it any other way.

She decides on something signal, a lilac sundress with white tights and an olive green cardigan. She'll probably freeze her ass off but at least she'll look cute while she does it. Adaline has Maira braid her hair back and do her makeup, simple and casual and barely noticeable. Just her style.

It's easy to get lost in getting ready to distract herself from the anxiety knot in her stomach. How can she be this nervous? It's just Clay. They've literally kissed twice, they talk to each other every day. Why is this so scary? Why is Adaline so paranoid that if anything goes wrong, it'll be the end? It's going to be fine.

Dante's sister gives her a ride, her bag and tupperware containers full of baked goods and nice sandwiches packed safely in the back seat. Adaline's heart beats out of her chest on their way to the park.

      "You're going to be fine," Kendra says, "doesn't this guy really like you?"

      "I think so-" Adaline starts.

      "I didn't ask if you think, does he or does he not?" Kendra has always been this straightforward since the first time Adaline met her.

      "He does. I really believe he does."

      "Then you have nothing to worry about," Kendra shrugs, pulling up to the park. "Now get out. And have fun. Stay safe. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. Call me if you need a ride back.

With a kiss on the cheek and a quick trip to the backseat, Adaline is off and walking to the big tree where she and Clay are set to meet up. She takes deep breaths. He likes you, he likes you, she repeats to herself. It's going to be alright.

Adaline spots him, Clay in all of his...Well, Clay. He's Clay. Standing there with a little picnic blanket and a flower. Adaline smiles and waves at him, picking up the pace a little bit as she makes her way to him.

      "Hey!" She says, sitting down and setting her food on the blanket next to his.

Clay sits down across from Adaline, his legs crossed. "Hey, Ads. What'd you bring?"

Adaline opens all the tupperware containers, pointing everything out. Brownies, cookies, and sandwiches. She still can't cook to save her life but she can bake like a pro. It's what's been helping her get through these past few weeks of stress with streaming and school.

Clay shows her the candy he bought from the store and the flower he brought to her. A pretty peony, he points out that it matches her dress.

This day is good.

This date is good.

Clay is good.

Adaline is good.

It's all good and okay.

      "How's your mom after her appointment?" Adaline asks, handing a sandwich to Clay and taking one for herself.

      "Good, she has nerve pain so she got this injection in her foot and it hurt her a ton. She squeezed my hand so hard it bruised." Clay holds up his hand, a light yellow-ish bruise has appeared since the last time she saw him four days ago.

      "Ouch, sorry Clay." Adaline winces for him.

They eat at their sandwiches quietly, Adaline occasionally glancing up at Clay and seeing him just sitting there, looking right back at her. It's okay. 

Word count: 655

A/N: WE'RE AT 50K WORDS AND 50K READS!! The last few chapters of Trending will be coming out within the next few weeks <3