Chapter 3: What is the female ego?

The night I was lost in cursing Sanjay and worrying about sharing a life with him. I am with my best friends. We are sitting in the staff room and are having some severe personal talks. By the way, I work as a math teacher. I make a childish sad face and cutely say, "My female ego... It is hurt!"

Rekha, who works as a science teacher, enquires, "Female ego? Interesting!"

Nikki who is the Hindi teacher, says, "Female ego? Is it the new trend now?"

Rekha: Of course, we, too, have an ego, right? I mean, why not?

Nikki: I am aware of the male ego. What's this female ego?

Me: I think it is the female ego itself. Not sure, though! Whatever the correct term is, this is not happening correctly! I want situations and scenarios to change, to please and convince me! The very 'ME'!

Rekha: What's with you? You made us curious about this 'female ego term,' and now upset us?

Nikki: And why did this even come up? What's happening?

Me: I want to explain and shout out all my anger. But, I am not good at expressing myself. Not even ready.

Rekha: Hey? I don't know how to respond now!

I pick up my stuff and walk away. I have a math class to handle. "I am committing a great sin by maintaining a secret with my sister."

They probably are worried. They follow me, and the conservation continues.

Nikki: OMG, secret with your sister. Something is seriously wrong. We know how close you both are.

Rekha: My sister is one big chatterbox. I always envied your pair! Now say what happened?

Me: It's too big, too complicated. I am a math teacher. Not good at emotions or speaking them out. I only believe in logic.

Nikki: Now, don't speak unnecessary stuff! I will dose off, even though I am walking!

Me: It is unnecessary! And also, explaining all of this does no good to me.

Rekha: That hurts Sandhya! Don't make us feel just like any other random colleagues. We are best friends.

Me: Guys, I am sorry! I will say. But not today. I am overwhelmed with thoughts and confusion! Give me time to digest all that is happening.

Nikki: That's better!

Sandhya: Also, I am not very bad at English. Not an expert, though, but good enough to be an author. Decent one! Beginner.

Nikki: Sandhya, did you just surprise us?

As Sandhya is about to enter the classroom, Nikki pulls her out to ask, "WHAT IS the FEMALE EGO?" Sandhya is stunned at that moment and speaks out her heart. Sadness driven over her face, she says, "Expecting cinematic love from the guy who likes me, and none of that coming true! I observed that he had a crush on me, and the story ended there. But he projects everything as if he does not even know me. I liked him back, and now I realize he never liked me. Just because he liked me, I, too, liked him back. I waited, and now I have quit. Everything hurts my female ego. Every single thing hurts my female ego!" Sandhya releases herself and enters the classroom.

Rekha: Definitely, something big is happening with her!

It was a short explanation. Too short to understand what all the 'ego' is about. Rekha and Nikki are back in the staff room and analyze her interesting reply.

Rekha: There is a guy in the picture. Do we know him to deal with all this?

Nikki: Sports department has one young man on staff, and he is my husband. Everyone else is forty-plus.

Rekha: Yup, no one in the picture.

Nikki: Hey, there definitely is a guy in the picture. But, someone we don't know.

Rekha: Possible!

Nikki: Should we ask Sindhu?

Rekha: Let's not! She is guilty of a secret between them. It's probably complicated.

Nikki: Convincing!

Rekha: And she mentioned 'Author.'

Nikki: Let's ask Sindhu about that.

Sindhu: Oh! So she said about being an Author... Good! Sure, I will send you the story.

Rekha and Nikki couldn't wait a moment and dialed Sindhu to clear off their suspense.

"Oh! So Sindhu, what inspired her to write?" Very confidently, Sindhu replies, "Nothing. Never mind. The story is a happy and feel-good one. You will enjoy it! The title is 'An Indian Girl Love Story'."

Rekha: Is it her love story?

Sindhu: She has none! But her real-life story is getting much and much better.

Nikki: What is happening in her real life?

Sindhu: Dad found someone who likes her.

Nikki: And did he ever say he likes her?

Sindhu: Nope! But I know that!

Nikki: Ok Bye.

The call is already hung up, but Sindhu has a lot of excitement to pour out! "Hey, don't you want to learn more about him?"

Nikki and Rekha shockingly see each other with wide-open surprised eyes. They ditto have the same expression, 'What is happening? She is getting into an arranged marriage while having someone else in her thoughts!'