Chapter 12: The Wedding

Sandhya's POV:

Sanjay and I tried hard to convince our parents to have an uncomplicated marriage, and we succeeded. Those are what my principles are. I believe that the only purpose behind the marriage event is that the pair has to make emotional memories together, and their well-wishers should heartfully bless them.

Arranged marriages always freaked me out! Even though our marriage looks to be arranged, we do hold an emotional bonding much early than expected. My association with Sanjay is a beautiful relationship between two souls, rather than men and women. And why do I hold that emotional bonding? It's because I wasn't forced to do anything against my principles for societal standards. Even though my father abided by society and its stupid rules, Sanjay stood as strong support to my words.

We got married peacefully and joyfully in a beautiful temple amongst our very family members. We never were a center of attraction for hundreds of people who are jobless enough to judge if the bride is beautiful or the groom is handsome and if their kids will have good looks or not. My father isn't running up and down in his old age to check whether the lunch is being served perfectly. Instead, he is beside me, enjoying his trust and confidence in Sanjay while getting me married to him. We even ask the Old Brahmin to perform our marriage explaining the meaning and purpose behind every ritual, rather than doing it for formality.

I am wearing a baby pink silk saree. Holding a coconut in hand, I enter the Mandap. I sit opposite Sanjay, facing him, but I can't see him. I am not allowed to see him. We are not allowed to see each other. There is a Curtain impeding us from seeing each other. I look too cute and girly in this pink saree. I want to see him flattered for my grace!

My father has to finish the Kanyadanam ritual, by which he hands me to Sanjay. And then, with our right hands, we have to place the cumin-jaggery paste placed in a betel leaf on each other heads. It is said that this paste has some reaction in our brains that makes us feel attracted to and attached. God knows how it does that! This is the significant step where we are declared 'married.'

Soon enough, the Curtain is lowered, and we are eager to look at each other. With our faces bent down due to each other's hands on our heads, we have to widen our eyes to see each other. I always wanted to be selected for being a heartful girl with just average beauty, and I was chosen so. But, looking at his mesmerized looks for me, I wonder if I am more beautiful than any angel in this universe. I'm perfectly enjoying this moment; I'm perfectly enjoying our marriage! Anytime I had guys stare at me, I only felt pride. But this time, when Sanjay stares at me like that, all I feel is happiness. Just happiness! I give him a warm smile, waking him up from his cloud nine.

Next, we will have to change into traditional white clothes. I wear a white Saree with a red border, and he wears a white Dothi. The priest stops chanting mantras for a moment and speaks! "Since the couple is interested to know the meaning behind each ritual, let me say that the white signifies purity, and the red signifies strength. And coming to the three knots tied by the groom to the bride, each of the knots represents the mental, physical and spiritual union of the couple." And there does Sanjay stand up to tie those three knots to me. This is the most hyped ritual in our Indian marriages.

Now enters the fun. We are given rice grains mixed with turmeric paste. We can shower them on each other as much as possible, as fast as possible. It's like a vigorous competition between us! The next game is much more fun. A ring is dropped in a big pot filled with milk and a few rose petals. Sanjay and I compete with our arms to find that ring and win.

Next, we take seven steps around the fire with my saree knotted with his dothi. This is where we make the promise of traveling together with this life's journey. And then, Sanjay points out at something in the sky; I am asked to accept that I did see a star, a star called Arundathi. Sorry, but I didn't see any stars. We are marrying in the daylight.

The last event is the send-off. My family has to send me off with Sanjay. I know Sanjay is getting added to my family; I am not getting rid of any of my old family. Not even a drop of tears rolls down my cheeks. I am happy to start a life with Sanjay. The only upsetting thought is that I will miss Sindhu and our everyday routines!

As I leave, Sindhu says one dialogue that keeps Sanjay Awestruck! "Every time you come to our house, you have to sleep with me in our room, holding each other's hands. I don't care if Sanjay has to go to hell to get his night's sleep! Promise me, Akka." I giggle at Sanjay and give Sindhu her promise.