Chapter 4: Official Date

Writers POV"

The following Saturday, at 11.45 am, dad knocks on Sandhya's door. "Sandhya."

"Hello, Dad."

"Sandhya, you know Sanjay, right? Their family likes you a lot. He will be waiting for you. He mentioned someplace I can't recall; you can meet him once."

"Dad, so sudden. You just mentioned him and already asked me to meet him."

Ganapathi (Father) ignores Sandhya and continues. "I suggested that he meet you at the mall nearby. Anyway, you guys can decide. He will let you know. I shared your contact details with him."

Sindhu intruptes "Dad, is it..."

"Yes, Sindhu. You should get used to a life without Sandhya. Bye. You guys can continue to work. No disturbance. I will close the door as I step out."

"Ok, bye, dad!"

Before dad leaves the room, I request, "Give me some time, dad, to think about this."

He replies, "Our family has known his family for ages. This is the best for you, the best! I know that. Just get yourself comfortable with him when you meet him today."

Sindhu helps him, "I will convince Akka, don't worry, dad!" Who will help me with my doubts and insecurities?

Dad tries to comfort me while I look worried, "Sandhya, don't worry. I will respect your decisions. I just think meeting with him is not a big deal."

I agree. "Ok, dad. Thanks!"

"Good!"

Ganapathi is Sandhya's father. A strict, conservative, old-fashioned, typical Indian father. He is an introvert, an introvert more than his daughter Sandhya. Sindhu is like her mother, Vanaja, who is extroverted and talkative. But Sandhya and Ganapathi belong to that clan of people who talk as minimally as possible. They talk less and work more. Like how Sandhya has the strongest bonding with her little sister Sindhu, Ganapathi has such bonding with his wife, Vanaja.

Sandhya's POV:

Sindhu starts the talk, "Sandhya, I can't believe this. Did dad give you a chance to meet him, and probably some freedom so that you can make a decision? Oh, mine! He was never like this before. I thought he had decided, but no! I thought he won't even ask for your opinion and dominate. But no! He is cool nowadays, Akka! Isn't he? Wow! And yes! He is correct; Sanjay is the best for you."

I smile very little "Dad just looks like some red-hot ball. But he is not so. And he did give me the freedom to decide. You don't have to mention the word 'probably.' And, coming to Sanjay, is he the best for me? I doubt Sindhu."

Again there goes her irritating confidence "He is Akka. You want, no doubt. We are all so happy for you. Sanjay and I met yesterday, and I spoke so much about you. I will keep him prepared to deal with you!"

I am really not good at this. "Who will prepare me, Sindhu? And, of course, you are the chatterbox! What big deal are you speaking about me with him the whole day? And hey, you didn't say anything about the story I wrote. Please don't!"

She looks at me with wide-open eyes. "I didn't. And I am saying; you are mad. Really! Why should that be a secret? It's supposed to be your pride. It would help him so much in understanding you. Reading that, this arranged marriage might end up being love- arranged marriage. Anyway, I don't have the patience to sit and convince you now. He was planning to meet you at the mall and watch an English movie. Bye."

I am kind of scolding her, "Sindhu, listen... For your kind information, you are the one not letting me decide; dad is! You are the dominating one, not dad. Look at your confidence that you don't even give me a chance to speak. Dad is mature, not you. Come on, now tell me more about him. Convince me why he is the perfect one for me.