9- The Betrayal of Hedwig

***

***

Aurora woke up extra early the next day to say goodbye to her brother, as he was returning home for the holidays. They had stayed up until two in the morning the previous night, talking and catching up. He had missed her so much, he didn't even comment or sneer when she mentioned her friendship with Potter and Weasley. Truthfully, Draco had been lonelier than she was.

Growing up, Draco knew he would have been a very lonely child had it not been for Aurora. He shivered just thinking about being an only child in that twisted manor. He would never admit this to anyone, but he would sometimes find himself jealous of her. She was bubbly, outgoing, joyful, and positive. She didn't care what their father thought of her and he was envious of that. Deep down, he was even jealous that she got away from their father when she was sorted.

Draco Malfoy had always been a shy and lonesome child. He only ever let his guard down around his sister, and sometimes his mum. But Aurora, it was as if she knew he'd be holding back and would do everything possible to make him comfortable enough to to let his guard down. He'd always been afraid of his father— afraid of being a disappointment in his eyes under such a a pressure-fueled environment. And that is where the two siblings were different. When Draco was afraid, he would play the part. Not necessarily bowing down to fear, but he was smart and cunning enough to play his part well to win the war. Aurora, however, would look fear in the face, full of defiance and spat in its face, middle finger raised.

And he knew that some small part of her was jealous of him as well. Jealous that he alone would inherit everything. Jealous that he was deemed worthy enough. Jealous that they showed nothing but pride when it came to him.
They only had each other for so long, until Aurora found Tom (but he didn't know that,) but they had really been the center of each other's universe for so long. Until Hogwarts.

He'd felt so terrible for her once she was sorted in Gryffindor. He wanted to talk to her, to be the one comforting her for a change. But as the days flew by and she wouldn't even look at him, he grew resentful. Even more so when he'd seen her laughing with Potter and Weasel— that made him resent them as well. He thought she had forgotten all about the lonely boy that was her brother. He now felt stupid knowing that she probably felt the exact same way.

It was snowing heavily that morning. Students were scattered everywhere, saying goodbye to new and old friends as they went home to their families for Christmas. Waiting for the train at Hogsmeade Station, two platinum haired first years were secluded and hugging one another. They undoubtedly looked tired, but if you looked closer you would see that their smiles were brighter than ever.

Draco pulled away from the hug first and held Aurora's hand. He was only about four inches taller than her, but he was quite glad for it. She used to be taller when they were younger, and it irked him to no end.

"This will be our first birthday apart," Draco breathed.

She sighed and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I know. We'll have to celebrate when you get back," she frowned.