37- I Will Write You Notes

***

***

As the next few days passed, the not-so-subtle transition from November into December was a new hassle for the students and staff of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The atmosphere was so chilly that just standing in the dungeons made the wispy white fog leave students' nose with each breath. Instant heating charms were now a must-have while roaming the grandeur walls of the ancient castle in Scotland.

Ice sickles had begun to spawn onto the rims of lonely window panes, their intricate swirling designs dwindling into a sharp point. Peeves the Poltergeist had made excellent use of Mother Nature's creation, weaponizing the sculptured ice for his own antics. Unsuspecting students were beyond aggravated when the sharp edge of the ice would accidentally be knocked onto their heads, and only after Talibor Nott was sent to the hospital wing for the Poltergeists' pranks did Headmaster Dippet finally step in.

The backlash from the duel was something that Aurora was intensely dreading, not particularly wishing for her peers to somehow fear or have ill-feelings of doubt toward her. As it would turn out, aside from the occasional pat on the back, everybody was pretty chill about the entire ordeal. There was quite a few times that Rory had overheard people retelling the story, however.

Diary-Tom had stuck true to his word, Rory and her invisible friend were roaming the hallways of Hogwarts once more. Now inseparable, the specter fulfilled his promise to keep an eye out on their surroundings, only going back into the Horcrux during classes or bedtime. Aside from the usual playful bickering, the duo were doing great— Tom-two had not made a move against her. Actually, the witch had not heard a peep from the real and breathing prefect since their Potions class.

Francis had come down with a cold not long after the duel, the Scottish winter unforgiving on the Hufflepuff's sinuses. Rory felt pity toward her friend, who was seemingly always in some sort of physical discomfort. She'd tried to nurse him back to health, but Frankie had ended up kicking her out from her relentless smothering antics.