That time I met a hero killer - Chap 4

"Ah... okay, thanks." I breathe. The hero killer, Stain in his Stendhal outfit, is right in front of me in an alleyway with two dead men next to me. If it didn't feel real before it did now. I wonder how bad my luck must be to meet this guy on my first day in this world. At least he said he's not going to kill me. I remember something. "Hey, could I get a light off you?" I pull out a cigarette.

"A kid like you shouldn't be smoking. And no, I don't have a light. Just go home for today and forget you saw me." He tells me. "I don't have a home, nor parents or friends." Now that I say that I realize my situation right now is pretty depressing. "Jeez, kid. By the way, what is your quirk?" He asks. "Teleportation," I respond. "That's a pretty nice quirk, kid. Nice and straightforward. Can you... teleport other people with you?" He asks slightly smiling. I think I know what he is thinking right now.

"I'm not sure. I've never tried it." I say. "Okay, well I'll put my hand on your arm, and just try to teleport us to the end of the alleyway." He instructs. "Alright," I say and he puts his hand on my arm. I think of the end of the hallway and suddenly we are there.

Holy crap. It worked. I wonder what future will be held for me now. "Hey, kid. You said you had nowhere to go right?" He asks. "Uh, yeah..." He is thinking what I think he's thinking.

"Then do you... want to come with me? I could use someone like you to help me with my goal." He grins devilishly. "What... is your goal?" I ask, although I already know quite a bit about his goals and drives. "Hero," He starts. "There are two meanings to the word. One, the occupation, and the other, a description. A description of a person who is brave, kind, and selfless. The reason why I say that there are two meanings is that there is not a single hero to my knowledge who is an embodiment of the notion that heroes are brave, kind, and selfless. There are too many. Too many heroes who only care about self-preservation and monetary benefit. They are cancer for society, which warps the idea of a hero." He says darkly. Damn. I'm getting chills. It was one thing watching this on a television screen. "I have a question for you, now. What are your goals and ambitions? Tell me good now, or you can just forget that I ever said I was going to let you live." He grins and stabs the air next to me with his bloody sword. "Ah... well, I don't have any at the moment. You could say I'm just drifting along the path life takes me as of now." I say. Hopefully, that was a good ans- Stain stabs my arm. "AGH!" I yell in pain.

"What a shame. Only acting selfishly with a quirk like that. It disgusts me. Do you not care about society? Do you only live for yourself? What good will that bring to anyone? I wanted to be a hero once. I wanted to help people. But everyone around me only wanted fame and fortune. They were just like you are right now. Selfish and uncaring." He asks and stabs me again. "Fuck! It's not like society ever done shit for me!" I yell. "No one ever did shit for me when I needed it! I haven't even lived in this place for long enough to care about it." I say. "The problem isn't just here. It's proudly showing its face everywhere." He retorts. "Not where I'm from," I say. I need to calm down. I already know everything I need to get out of this situation. "But, you're right... the meaning of hero is warped, but it's not like we can do anything about it." I say. "But that's where you're wrong," He removes his blade from my arm. He pulls up his mask. "I go by Stendhal. Some would call me a vigilante. I kill villains. I try to be a true hero on my terms. I know one day that my efforts will make a change." He states proudly. I clap. "I commend you, then," I say. "There aren't many people who would go so far. I'm not one to care that much about others, but I believe in you." It's a bit two-faced to say this to him since I'm just trying to secure my standing but It's not like I don't mean it at all.

"Thank you. I hope you can find your way to save the notion of a true hero if you truly believe in the same philosophy as I do." He states, and puts on his mask. He then walks out of the alleyway.

I teleport away to another convenience store. I need a lighter.

||||

I robbed a convenience store. Not the best idea but the clerk was being an ass and not selling me the lighter. Now a hero has shown up and is trying to arrest me since apparently over the last few hours I've become known as a serial convenience store robber. "Your crimes have caught up with you, little girl!" He says and runs at me. I teleport around the store as he chases after me and tires himself out. "Well it's not like this hasn't been fun, but I really must be off. I thank you for your kind hospitality." I say and teleport away. Not gonna lie that was pretty funny. I wonder if someone was recording. That would be a viral video back in my world. Not sure if it's the same here.

Now that I think of it, I should get a phone and maybe a mask for when I steal stuff. I was just wearing a medical mask when I robbed that convenience store so no one should know my face as of now. I wonder if there is a villain outfit maker like in Tokyo Ghoul there is a mask maker. Not that I plan on being a villain. I just want to do whatever I want. Right now I'm staying in a nice modern mansion. I'm pretty sure the owners are out of town or something like that right now.

I teleport to a shopping area and look around for a cool mask I can wear before I, uh, forcefully borrow a phone.

After looking around for a bit I find one. It looks like a skull and covers the face pretty well. Maybe for a backstory, I'll say it's the skull of the man who killed my parents. Not like his skull is even intact anymore. It was crushed along with the car on impact.

I put it on in the back of the store and teleport across the street to a phone store and stroll in. No one bats an eye at my teleportation since this is a world full of quirks.

I walk over to one of the workers. "Which is your highest quality phone?" I ask. "That would be the oPhone 12. You can find it on the wall over there." He points to a display area and smiles. "Okay, I would like to buy that one. Ring me up." I say and walk to the register. He brings out the phone in its case and I grab the box. "Thanks for the donation!" I say happily and teleport back to the house I'm staying in. Robbery well done. It's not as bad as the kind of stuff I did for money back in my world though. I- never mind. I don't want to think about it. This is my new life now.

Time to relax. Right?