Chapter 24: Madness

Rebecca

"Where are you taking me?"

Jasper pulls me through the pack house, his following silence feeding my curiosity. Since getting up for the day he's been pushing me to get ready, and from the moment I first looked at him he had this unexplainable look in his eyes. I haven't the slightest clue what he's up to but his determination is quite amusing.

I give his hand a squeeze. Over his shoulder he replies, "to get food, mate."

Hunting again. I'm tempted to stay back and find something not still bleeding. Even if there is a more animalistic part of me now, I still love eggs, bacon, and all things processed by humans. The risk of this moment is not worth it though.

Time alone with Jasper has been scarce. With preparation for the challengers, anticipation of the commander, and everyday responsibilities of being pack leaders, we've no time to step away. I've wanted nothing more than to spend days with him, in our bed, simply alone...with no interruptions.

Jasper's voice drifts into my head as the smell of french toast reaches my nose, making me all the more wistful. Would you rather stay?

I shake my head. Nothing will ever appeal the same as being at my mate's side.

No, I say, and because my beast half pushes, I say what I really want to. Never.

Jasper's lips and a growl of approval meet the back of my hand as he opens the front door.

As soon as the morning sun touches our skin, Jasper bolts for the tree line. I follow, laughter and excitement rising inside me.

"Hungry?" I tease as I struggle to match his pace.

He turns my way and his eyes flash.

The beast inside me stirs. I glance behind us and silently wonder if it's too late to turn back with him, but the thought of the last time he's hunted crosses my mind. It's been too long and now is not the time for him to grow weak.

I look ahead, seeing a fallen pine about a few miles ahead. "Bet I could beat you to that tree," I challenge to distract my thoughts.

We're equals in every way, I tell myself. I could win this.

Except, my mate is an Alpha male through and through--losing is not in his nature. All at once, Jasper's in wolf form and barreling ahead.

"Not fair!" I shout after. Even if I tried I couldn't keep up with him. Not like this.

I'd shift but just the thought makes me flinch. There's been one other time I've transformed since the ceremony, and it hurt as bad as it did that day.

Deckard wanted to see how much I could take in my state before I admitted defeat... or retaliated. He's lucky my mate was right by my side. Jasper is my only anchor when I'm not me. When he isn't in my sight I feel as if darkness will swallow me whole, as if I'm teetering off the edge of sanity, ready to fall into a rage-filled massacre of any and everything in my path.

Fearing the best inside of me is no help. Until I know I won't bring harm to innocent beings, I'll just have to accept that drawback.

I slow to a jog, eventually wondering if I've lost Jasper. He's nowhere in sight. There are no broken trees or tracks from his feet anywhere. His scent is the one thing I can pick out, but it's overwhelming. Like he's circled the area a dozen times in the second it took me to blink.

Damn him.

"Jasper," I mumble. There's no doubt in my mind that he's close. With hunters in the area, he'd never go far enough that he wouldn't be able to protect me if something happened.