Chapter 4: Pack

"Look into my eyes, it's where my demons hide... Don't get too close it's dark inside... It's where my demons hide, it's where my demons hide."

-Imagine Dragons, Demons

Being torn between two very different emotions is beginning to become a routine with me. For example, the shower mess that happened yesterday; at that time I was both scared out of my fucking mind and a little bit turned on.

And then he showed up.

I want to punch him in the face and kiss him. When I woke up, I wasn't sure what I was expecting to see. Two grown men—shifter men—in a growling match next to my bed had not crossed my thoughts once.

Chace, my savior asshole, is half shifted and glaring at Jasper as if he's Satan himself. Jasper, thankfully back in human form, is standing right next to where I'm lying in bed.

I clear my throat, breaking up their staring match.

Chace's blue eyes snap to me. "B—"

"Don't." I interrupt him.

As much as I'm thankful for him showing up when he did—and possibly saving my life—I haven't forgiven him for the past. Oddly enough, I'm even angrier with him. I have a feeling it's because of the way he's posturing toward Jasper, threatening, something that just does not sit well with me.

Next to me, Jasper sits, opting for the corner spot between my bed and nightstand. I don't miss the way his eyes never leave Chace or how he keeps his body leaning towards me—as if preparing to protect me at the slightest shift from the other man—and it fills me with heat.

It's strange considering he just attacked and possibly nearly killed me less than twenty-four hours ago. Chace's gruff voice breaks me from my thoughts. "Rebecca, we need to talk."

His large form retreats from my room. I'm not sure that I want to talk to him—to hear what he has to say. The last time we spoke to one another was when he broke my heart without so much as a second glance.

Yet I can't bring myself to deny him council. He wouldn't have shown up here if it weren't for something important. I lay back in bed for a moment, until I muster up the courage to speak to him.

Jasper, who'd been staring after Chace, abruptly stands when I do. I pause, eyeing him carefully.

He looks at me with sadness in his eyes and lowers his head. "I-I'm sorry."

Hearing his unsteady voice as he stutters after witnessing his powerful tone yesterday is almost mystifying. But, I think I'm beginning to understand him, or his behavior at least.

"I'm sorry as well. It was wrong of me to invade your privacy like I did," I say honestly, hating how my face flushes from embarrassment.

"No. I... If. " He takes a deep breath. "I-If I had control, my wolf wouldn't have gone after you."

That's what I'm beginning to put together. This isn't the first time I've heard of a shifter not having complete control over their beast half. It's definitely my first encounter with one of Jasper's mature age, though. I was under the impression that only young, untrained shifters deal with the control issue.

"How long have you struggled with this?" I ask him.

He wraps a hand over his middle, rubbing his side nervously before mumbling, "Always."

I nod, my mind reeling at the information. I wonder if... what he went through could be the underlying cause.

"B!" Chace suddenly yells, startling both Jasper and me.