Chapter 11: Drop

"Comment Quote Suggestions."

Jasper

Dawn draws nearer in the sky. I can spot clouds rolling in far in the distance, letting on that the day will be a gloomy one. But most of mine are.

I didn't get any sleep. As hard as I try, I just can't bring myself to let my body fall into unconsciousness—to risk my safety and hers. There's this primal urge inside me, telling me that I should be protecting the female at my side at all times. That I should be at her side every second and hour of the day. When I ignore the press, pull, it only grows worse—uncontainable.

The entire day yesterday she had been clouding my thoughts. What is she doing? Is she safe? Is she in danger? Is another pack member going to lash out and attack her this time while she is trying to help? It had made the moment I got back so much more heightened.

Hearing Rebecca's quiet cries before I even stepped through the door of our room was jarring. My skin prickled, blood pressure spiked, and my mind went over any possible reason she could be sad... Then I saw her.

I know how fragile my control over the beast side of me is. I shouldn't have entered the bathroom because as soon as I saw her naked form behind the glass of the shower, I'd been lost to the darkness.

Every moment forward had been the result of instincts. Ones I could no longer deny—the urge to keep her happy, safe, and that need to be at her side...or even closer. Inside her. The small moment that I was had shredded my last strand of control. The final, impossibly overwhelming urge—to attack her—brought me to my knees.

My wolf wants to tear into her. Images of myself biting her neck fill my mind nearly every second of every moment that I'm by her side. At night, when the moonlight caresses her skin and her pale neck is exposed to me, it's harder to resist giving in to the temptation.

I'm at a constant tug of war with the other half of me. Moments like what transpired a few hours ago are dangerously reckless. I've never felt anything more blissful than that one second of being inside her—but I have felt that overwhelming need and hunger for blood that caused me to lose hold of the little control I possessed over my wolf.

The problem is, one side of me wants to protect her. The other... the other wants to cause her pain. I know the switch between the two sides, man and beast, is impossibly fragile and I'm worried about which part of me will flip it first—which part of me will determine our fate.

Rebecca suddenly moves in her sleep. Her ass rubs against my cock, soft and full. The sensation has me hard, and my teeth aching to sink into her flesh. I clench them, keeping them from fully extending. The act does nothing to dull the need that pumps through me from that one movement but the pain is enough to divert my attention.

Taking that brief moment, I slip from the bed and give Rebecca a last glance over my shoulder, then head for the door and make my way out of the pack house.

I wait until I'm deep into the surrounding forest to relax. The moonlight shining down on me is calming, and still unfamiliar in its effect.

In...In my cage I was left in the dark for days. Months. It had a weakening effect on me, and more so the wolf half that was still maturing at the time. Shifters, werewolves—of the moon draw strength from it. It's like how a regular human needs the sun, except with us, it's the moon, and feeling— soaking the light from it—is almost as necessary for us as breathing.

Maybe it's for that reason that my wolf and I aren't joined like we should be.

Rebecca wants to help me. I am the only one who can fix what's wrong inside of me. The half of me that should be intertwined with the other is detached, lashing out at even myself, and even more now than when I was captive. I don't understand it. It's so different from the part of me I knew as a child. It's turned into a beast.