Chapter 21: Meeting Her Maker

Rebecca

The bedroom is bathed in moonlight when I awake. I don't remember when I fell asleep, just the warmth of Jasper's body as he held me after a long day of training. Somehow, I find myself shivering with chill.

He's gone.

I know it's true before I even glance at the empty spot where he is usually laying with his gold eyes already staring back at me. I look around the room halfheartedly—he can't have gone far. Not with how protective he's been.

A soft noise from our bathroom catches my attention. I take in a deep breath and listen closer. Easily, I can tell it's not the male I'm looking for.

I call out to the being, but don't get a response.

I get the beaming smile of Luna Sydney.

"Oh..." I'm at a loss for words.

And if she's here, where is Jasper?

Sydney nods at me with a knowing smile. "He is just in the next room. He refused to go any further from you."

I tilt my head in confusion, and she grins at me as if there's a big juicy secret that she wants to share.

It takes me long enough to piece together why and to finally remember what day it is.

"Your ceremony is today!" She exclaims just as the nerves settle in.

My skin erupts in goosebumps. Deep down, I feel the wolf inside of me wake up. It's no wonder why.

I get to mark Jasper today...

He gets to mark me.

I look up at the previous Luna with what I assume is shock, because she quickly plants herself on the bed and clasps her hand with mine.

"Are you feeling okay? Should I bring Jasper back?"

I shake my head as my mind becomes clearer. "No, no. I... I guess I completely forgot." My stomach suddenly becomes a mess of overly erratic butterflies. "Oh my god."

Sydney envelops me in a hug and pulls back to grin at me. "Nervous? I was too. I even puked before my ceremony."

I grimace. "I hope that doesn't happen to me." I sit still for a moment as my emotions calm. I don't feel any nausea building up in the mix, so that's a good sign.

"I'll go grab you a water just in case, and breakfast. I'll be right back." Sydney gets up from the bed, twisting back around at the last minute. "Shower and try to relax before I come back—and stay here. Jasper will be even more reluctant to part with you again if he realizes how tense you are."

"OK..." I mumble as she disappears into the hall, the bedroom door shutting quietly behind her.

I give myself a moment of peace to finish waking up before I head for the shower. One thing is for sure, the former Luna is not one to ignore. There is one problem though, I don't think I'll be able to relax for a second.

With Jasper and the ceremony occupying my every thought, I strip off my clothes and step under a rain of steaming water. The heat turns out to be more bothersome than calming. I sigh to myself, knowing the only way I'll truly calm means having my mate right next to me.

Unwilling to agitate the beast inside me anymore, I wash quickly and get out as soon as all the soap suds from my body are disappearing down the drain.

I grab a lone towel hanging on a rack nearby. As I'm fumbling with it to dry off, I feel bitter loneliness creep up inside me. Jasper is usually here at times like these—helping me dry, just comforting me with his presence and... watching me with those eyes. My stomach flips, and I sigh in remembrance.