Chapter 19: Blood (Part One)

Jasper

Soft.

Pink.

No scars.

Perfect.

I run my thumb across Rebecca's full lips that are parted and in a subtle pout as she sleeps. I've been awake and doing so for hours, not once has she stirred. I long to see her brown eyes looking back at me with every passing second and touch, but I just can't bring myself to wake her.

Last night was hard on her body. She needs this rest if it means making her transformation a little less excruciating when it inevitably happens on its own.

I doubt I will be waiting long for her to wake anyway. With every pass of my fingertips over her skin, her beast side grows more restless, making its desire known by moving directly beneath. It craves my touch more than I could ever fathom. And as I continue to let my hands roam, fur rises to the surface, nearly breaking through.

I ease up then and patiently wait for her wolf to settle, only it doesn't this time. I freeze when the prickle of fur just under my hand becomes more evident, and at Rebecca's following grimace, I remove my touch altogether and growl low and quiet until her beast has retreated.

It puts up resistance of greater strength than yesterday, reminding me that I can only command so many times before she realizes she is capable of taking what she wants on her own.

That day is not far off. I can feel it.

Cautious of her awoken beast, I lean forward and cover her lips with mine as gently as I can manage. Hers part for me eagerly, even in unconsciousness. And because denying the opportunity to taste her is impossible, I slide my tongue into her hot mouth, groaning when she responds just as eagerly as before.

Her full lips pushing back against mine almost break my intention of being gentle. I have never experienced such pleasure as this contact with her. Other than her touch and taste, nothing compares. Nothing and no one could ever compare.

Her eyes are still closed after I force myself to pull away. But now her naked breasts are rising and falling faster with every breath she takes. The scent of her arousal slowly arises in the air, becoming heavy and unmissable to my senses. I press my face into her neck and inhale. Every decadent aroma radiating from her is wrapping around me, consuming me. Reminding me how much I ache to mark her, to claim her until I'm covered in it.

Maddened, I allow my fangs to extend and brush against her skin. My wolf growls its pleasure—that too touches her, causing her to shiver. I repeat the motion and this time she arches into me at once, forcing me to quickly retract my canines before they can sink into her.

"Close," I mumble to myself as I watch her body bow toward me at the loss of contact. She was too close to tearing open her perfect skin with my fangs.

I know that I would have marked her the moment her blood filled my mouth. I cautiously lift my hand and run my fingertips down her arched throat and over the dip in her shoulder—the place that fills me with an overwhelming hunger to do just that. One that rivals starvation itself.

"Beautiful..." I whisper as I lower my attention, skimming over her collarbones and pausing to run my fingers back and forth between her breasts. Her pink buds atop the round globes harden under my gaze, and I watch breathlessly when she arches again as I begin a path in their direction. She's still sleeping, but now aware.

She moans softly, the sound husky in her throat from disuse, as I trace around her right nipple with the tip of my index finger.

Her skin is far softer here. And seeing both buds taut with need is calling out to me. My mouth waters, my hands tremble, and I find myself fighting the urge to ravish her this way. It's just that covering the sensitive peaks with my lips, tongue, or teeth would wake her all too soon.