Chapter 5 - Tunnel Vision

"NO! STOP! PLEASE! PLEASE! STOP HITTING ME!" Gracie screamed in her sleep tossing and turning in her bed at the hospital .

Jay had got back with some of her stuff a few hours ago, him and Hailey were in the waiting area being updated by Voight about Gracie's case whilst she slept.

"Hailey, Jay it's Gracie..." Will started quickly walking towards the waiting area.

"What happened?" Hailey said as they practically ran back to Gracie's room when they got closer and heard her screaming.

"She's freaking out, having some sort of nightmare. We didn't wanna try and wake her we thought it might scare her even more. We try to calm patients down before resorting to sedation." Will explained. Hailey nodded in understanding.

"Thanks man." Jay said patting his brother on the shoulder and moving into the room to help Hailey.

Gracie was still yelling in her sleep begging her Father not to hurt her. It was heart breaking for Hailey and Jay to watch. Cringing as they heard her plead and beg for her dad to stop hitting and kicking her.

The teen thrashed her arms around distraughtly completely convinced this nightmare was reality and desperately trying to defend herself from every blow. Jay moved towards her gently taking a hold of her arms so that when Hailey tried to calm her down she wouldn't get hit.

"Gracie, Gracie sweetie..." Hailey started in a calming tone stroking the girls hair back off of her face comfortingly. "Sshh, you're ok. Everything's going to be ok..."

"No! No! Please don't hurt me! Please don't hurt me!" Gracie repeated still very distressed and disoriented from her nightmare.

"No ones going to hurt you kid, you're safe we promise." Jay added one of his arms over her hands keeping them down whilst the other of his hands was on her shoulder which he gave a reassuring squeeze.

"Hailey? Jay?" Gracie said tearfully beginning to come out of her nightmare more and realising what was going on.

"It's ok honey, we're right here." Hailey said reassuringly continuing to stroke her hair back comfortingly.

"That's right, we're not going anywhere." Jay said and looked at Hailey who smiled back at him. They were going to do this together.

"It was so real...I...I didn't know what to do. He wouldn't stop, he just kept kicking me. I couldn't breathe..." Hailey sat on the bed beside the teen and wrapped her arms around her in a comforting hug. Gracie leant into the embrace that she really needed. She hadn't been held in so long, taken care of, comforted. Hailey and Jay made her feel safe.

"I don't know what to do about this Jay..." Hailey started as they came out of the room once Gracie had fallen back to sleep. "I can't let them take her into the system I just can't, this situation it just...it feels different. I think I'm gonna take her in, let her stay with me at least for a while. I don't expect you to do this with me you know we can work something out i'll take care of everything she needs when's she's living with us or I uh...I still have my apartment until the end of the month I can move back in there for a little longer if you don't wanna all live together, I just know what she's feeling right now, how alone she feels and all that pain and i think that even if I can just take a bit of it away then.."

"Hailey, hailey stop." Jay said smiling at how much she was rambling and holding her shoulders gently. "I love you and I love you even more for wanting to do this. I want it too and I don't want you or her staying anywhere else but in our apartment in our home. We're gonna do this together." Jay reassured her in a confident tone and without hesitation.

"Did I ever tell you how amazing you are?" Hailey asked moving closer to him and putting a hand on his chest.

He kissed her in response before wrapping his arms around her in a strong hug.

"We're really doing this." Hailey mumbled into his jacket as he held her.

"Yeah, yeah we are." Jay answered with a small smile.

"I love you." She said quietly before they broke the hug to go and figure everything they needed to put as far as moving Gracie in went.

"I love you too." Jay responded and they separated. "I'll talk to Voight, he'll have a contact in DCFS we can talk to about becoming emergency foster carers to Gracie.

Hailey went back to sit with Gracie and Jay went to speak with Voight. After about thirty minutes he came back after speaking with DCFS.

"Hey, so Voight gave me that contact we talked about and I got through to them pretty much straight away." Jay said as Hailey met him back outside Gracie's room.

They didn't want to speak in front of her yet in case she heard and got her hopes up about moving in and then something happened.

"What did they say?" Hailey asked curiously, she really hoped the process wouldn't be too long for Gracie's sake.

"Well they agreed to let her stay with us in protective custody. We have to complete a total of twenty-seven hours of training which is just under four hours of training a day over seven days to become her long term foster parents, but the good thing is that she'll be with us in protective custody for seven days. According to Will for five of those she will most likely be in the hospital, but for the last two we can get her moved in and her being in here just gives us more time to get the training done so she can be with us long term." Jay explained.

"So it's all worked out so far?" Hailey said with a smile.

"As long as we can get the training done and we pass the medical, criminal background check and home inspection which there also gonna fast track for us and get it done this week everything is figured out, she can move in with us." Jay explained exchanging smiles with Hailey.

"You're amazing." Hailey said immediately hugging Jay happy that Gracie could be safe with them.

"She's gonna be safe with us, we're gonna take care of her." Jay said returning the gesture and holding Hailey in the hug.

"Shall we tell her?" Hailey asked genuinely wondering whether it was the right time.

"It will cheer her up, but the social worker thinks that we should wait until we have at least passed the medical, home inspection and criminal background check. They're doing the criminal background check now on their computer system and we have to go for the medical this afternoon, they sent me the address." Jay explained and Hailey nodded in understanding.

"How about the home inspection?"

"The home inspection is tomorrow we'll need to get someone from the team or someone from med to sit with Gracie whilst we go and sort the apartment and maybe today too when we go for the medical later."

"Voight, might need the team. With us being gone he's already down two, we should get someone from Med to check in on her." Hailey suggested.

Jay nodded in agreement with Hailey. "She's comfortable with Will and April and she's their patient anyway so they'll be fine checking in on her. Natalie's here too so I'm sure she won't mind either."

"What times the medical appointments?" Hailey asked.

"We're supposed to be at the doctors office they designated for 1:30." Jay answered.

"We should probably get going then." Hailey suggested.

"Yeah I was thinking the same, we're not familiar with where the office is I don't wanna get caught up." Jay agreed.

"I'll go talk to Will about checking in on Gracie." Jay said and went to talk to Will at the nurses station to explain. Hailey went to go tell Gracie where they were going and then her and Jay made there way to the medical appointments.

Hi everyone hope you enjoyed this chapter :) I will update again soon. Thanks for all the support and for reading! EQ x