Chapter 4 - In The Shadows.

"Hey." Hailey said going towards Jay who stood outside Gracie's hospital room.

"Hey how is she? Ruzek called, they put him in the cage. Voight wants to talk with him before he gets put in lockup." Jay explained.

"Good. She's terrified but honestly she's just so used to putting on a brave face." Hailey said moving the hair out of her face with a sigh.

"You ok?" Jay asked noticing the disheartened look on her face.

"It's just...it's not right Jay! This is just so messed up. It's just too similar. I was this kid! I remember the pain and I remember the cold..." It was one of the first times Jay had seen something really get to Hailey and seeing her like that hurt him too. "She's so young Jay and she's so scared."

"Hailey it's ok." Jay reassured and held her as she put her head against his chest trying to compose herself.

"I'm sorry." Hailey said and Jay immediately shook his head.

"Don't apologise, you have a right to feel like this Hailey it's tough. No kid deserves to be treated like that. But I'm right here by your side and we're gonna help her. OK?" Jay reassured and Hailey nodded looking up at him from the hug.

"I love you, you know that right?" Hailey said looking up at Jay.

"I love you too." Jay responded and kissed her.

"Hey I'm going to get some coffee, you want some?" Hailey asked when they had pulled apart.

"You sure? I don't mind getting it, if you wanna stay with Gracie." Jay asked. Hailey smiled and patted him gratefully on the shoulder as she went to walk back into Gracie's room.

"Thanks." Hailey said as she went to Gracie.

As she walked back towards her she noticed the teen was beginning to stir awake a little more conscious than she was before.

She woke up in shock and scared of what was going on around her. She moved back a little in fear not aware that Hailey was beside her.

"Hey, hey it's ok you're safe." Hailey said in a soothing tone, putting her hand on Gracie's hand comfortingly. "No one's gonna hurt you I promise."

Gracie's breathing was still a little panicked so Hailey thought she should call over Will.

"Will." Hailey said towards the nurses station where Will was charting. "She's struggling a little." Hailey said quietly whilst quickly walking back into the room with him.

"Hey Gracie, you remember who I am kiddo?" Will asked walking into the room slowly approaching Gracie's bed so he didn't scare her.

"Dr Halstead." She managed to get out in between struggling for breaths.

"Yeah that's right you're doing really great, you can call me Will ok?" He said with an encouraging smile and she nodded as much as she could.

"Now you're hyperventilating a little so I need you to try and slow your breathing down and take a few deep breaths for me alright? In and out." Will said demonstrating by exaggerating his breathing and putting his stethoscope to her chest to check her lungs and breathing.

"I...I can't." Gracie said fearfully.

"Hey listen to me, you're so strong. You're Dad tried to get to you, but here you are fighting. No one is going to hurt you like that ever again." Hailey responded in a confident tone to reassure her.

Will put his stethoscope back around his neck and put a hand on the girl's shoulder.  "Gracie, look at me for a second you're gonna be ok I promise alright. Deep breaths, in and out." Will carried on inhaling and exhaling slowly to demonstrate trying to calm her down.