Chapter 14- After

Hi everyone hope you enjoy these next couple of chapters. It is a long time since my last update, sorry about that. As this is so linked to my last update though you may want to read either the last part of the last chapter or the entire last chapter again before reading this one. Anyways hope you like it! :)

"Alright come 'ere, I gotcha." Jay said in a gentle tone, lifting Gracie out of the car, her arm wrapping around his shoulders.

The poor kid looked exhausted and had her head rested on the inside of Jay's shoulder as he carried her in. Her face was still damp from tears and every movement that she made seemed to make her more aware of how the adrenaline was wearing off from the day she had had.

She barely said a word since she had broke down crying back at the courts. Jay had made a phone call to med before they headed to Gaffney.

"Hey guys come on over here treatment one is free." Natalie said seeing them coming into the ER.

Jay and Hailey walked over to the treatment room and Jay gently put Gracie down on the bed.

"Alright sweetie let's take a look, Jay said it was your ankle yeah?" Natalie asked and Gracie nodded.

"Yeah I was stupid really I didn't think about what I was doing and I was trying to reach the ball, running so fast that I stopped quickly to hit it and my body kind of almost carried on, leaving my leg further behind. I just rolled on it." Gracie said in response pulling a wincing face of pain slightly as Nat examined her ankle.

"Gracie this isn't your fault it was just an accident honey, it could have happened to anyone. There's definitely bruising, but I don't think it's broken we'll have to get an x-ray to confirm but I think we're looking at a grade 2 ankle sprain." Nat explained and just after she did Will walked in.

"Hey guys, the tournament not go so well Gracie?" Will asked looking at her on the gurney.

"Actually..." Jay started and looked up at Gracie for permission to carry on, Gracie nodded. "She won." Jay said proudly and Will and Natalie looked up with smiles towards Gracie.

"Congratulations!" Nat said.

"That's fantastic Gracie you should be really proud of yourself." Will added.

"Thanks guys." Gracie said with an almost bittersweet, deflated response.

Jay and Hailey shared a sad smile which Will noticed quickly before looking back at Gracie.

"You must be tired after all that training and school and everything." Nat said still not fully aware of what had happened but she was still right in the sense that Gracie did look exhausted.

"A little I guess." Gracie answered.

"Hey you know I think there's a bit of a backlog on x-rays so you might be able to get a bit of shut-eye kid. We can wake you up when it's time for you to head down there if you like?" Will offered.

Gracie looked at Jay and Hailey who smiled encouragingly. They knew how much Gracie tended to fight sleep these days, she had struggled with nightmares ever since everything had happened before she came to live with them.

"It's ok, we'll be right outside sweetie. If you need us we'll be straight in here alright?" Hailey reassured and Gracie nodded in agreement, her heavy eyes and aches in her body being a constant reminder of how tired she was. She knew she had to try and sleep eventually.

"April will be in to take your obs in five minutes but apart from that you'll be all good to get some rest Gracie." Will explained.

"Call us over if you need us ok? We'll come check in on you." Nat added.