Chapter 7 - Going Home

Hi everyone, thanks so much for being patient with me with these updates I appreciate that this one wasn't as quickly published as the last one. I'm a perfectionist and always try to get them as good as possible so they are interesting to read and include content that the readers enjoy. Anyways I hope you enjoy this chapter :) -

"Ok, have you got everything?" Hailey asked as she helped Gracie pack all of her things away into her backpack.

"I think so." Gracie responded putting her last few clothing items into her bag that she had kept at the hospital over the last week. She picked up the jacket she had used as a pillow that night in the tunnel at the playground and looked at it for a few seconds.

"New start hey? It's ok to be a little nervous." Hailey said with a reassuring smile, giving her hand a squeeze. Gracie just nodded exchanging a smile with Hailey and put the jacket into her backpack.

Jay came with a smile on his face and put a Blackhawks cap on Gracie as he walked towards the gurney/bed they were packing on in her hospital room.

Gracie took it off of her head to look at it for a second. "Is this your Blackhawks cap?"

"No, it's your Blackhawks cap." Jay replied with the same Halstead grin that Hailey was familiar with.

"Thanks Jay!" Gracie said gratefully, putting the cap back on her head.

"No problem kid, look I thought you, Hailey and I could go and watch them play next week with Will and Nat? They got a sitter for Owen already." Jay said and a Gracie instantly wore a big smile on her face.

"Really? That would be so cool! I love the hockey. Can we Hailey?" Gracie said looking at her new foster Mom with a hopeful expression, waiting for her to respond.

"Of course! This one needs somebody to keep an eye on him!" Hailey joked lightly hitting Jay on the arm as Jay gave a fake 'offended' look.

"Anyway, you ready to go Gracie?" Jay asked and Gracie nodded.

"Yeah I think so. Have they discharged me?" She asked carefully putting on her jacket with the help of Hailey. Her ribs were still wrapped due to the extent of the bruising.

"Yep, as of last night when Hailey and I passed the training to be foster parents we were named your legal guardians so able to sign the papers for your discharge. Will approved it too so you're good to go." Jay said watching as Gracie got up off of the bed and stood up to make sure she didn't hurt herself. "Oh hold up a second." He said and went back out to just outside the door before returning with a wheelchair.

"Really?" Gracie said smirking a little.

"Sorry kid, hospital policy, just until we get to the car. I've already been told by Maggie once and I don't wanna argue with her." Jay said his hands rested on the handles of the chair.

"Alright I guess it could work." Gracie said as Hailey grabbed her backpack and Jay pushed her chair leaving the hospital room together. Soon they were going through the ER towards the exit.

"Hey sweetie, you leaving us?" April said gently putting an arm around Gracie's shoulders as they approached the nurses station to say goodbye to the people that had helped Gracie over the last week.

"Yeah, I got discharged an hour ago thanks April I really appreciate you and the other nurses and doctors helping me like you did. I couldn't have got better this quick without you guys." Gracie said, April patted her upper back lightly in response and smiled at how far Gracie had come health wise in the last few days. When she first came in they were so worried that the exposure or injuries would cause some form of permanent damage