Chapter 9 - Where the Grass is Greener.

Hey guys thanks again for all you're support and for continuing to read my story. I hope you enjoy this chapter :)

Grace and her friends tried to make it through the rest of the day without getting into any more problems. Although, Gracie was pretty quiet for the rest of the day anyway. Nothing felt worse than feeling like she had got one of her best friends suspended from school and almost taken off of the basketball team.

The whole situation was stressing her out and by the end of the school day she was beyond the point of calming down.

Jay and Hailey couldn't pick her up after school because they were on cases most of the time when she finished school so they had gotten information from the school before she started back about which bus stopped near the 21st district.

At the end of the school day Gracie got on the bus and got off two blocks away from the district, walking for the remainder of the journey. When she reached the 21st she put on a fake smile and said 'hi' to Trudy who let her upstairs.

"Hey kid, how was school?" Jay asked as he saw Gracie coming up the stairs and walking towards the break room.

"It sucked." She said solemnly and went into the break room shutting the door, not saying anymore.

The team looked at each other with concern, the others had gotten to know Gracie over her first week she had been staying at Jay's and Hailey's and they really liked her. Suddenly, Gracie didn't just have two family members she had seven all protective of her.

Hailey and Kim were interrogating a suspect so would be a few minutes. Hank looked at Jay who looked unsure of what to do.

"Jay." Hank said and gestured for Jay to come into the doorway of his office.

"Sarge, I'm sorry I know it isn't convenient having Gracie here at the same time as suspects and whilst we're working on cases. Me and Hailey just want to be around to help her with homework and all and..." Jay began to explain before Hank interrupted.

"Hey Jay look it's not that, she's welcome anytime up here. We told her about all the confidentiality stuff. She's in the break room when we bring suspects through here. It's all good, you bring her here anytime you need to. We like seeing her she's a good kid."  Hank responded.

"Yeah she is, thanks Sarge I appreciate it." Jay said and Hank nodded.

"Look Jay, all I was going to say was that I know how tough it can be at the beginning. Asking yourself whether your doing the right thing when it comes to raising and taking in a teenager. You feel clueless and you question yourself, but the most important thing is to be there for her, reassure her and listen to her. Once you've got all those things right you're half way there." Hank said with a reassuring smile to Jay.

"I just wanna do right by her Sarge and sometimes it's hard to tell whether I am. I've never even raised a kid before and now I'm raising a teenager." He explained running his hand threw his hair in stress.

"Jay, you and Hailey are giving this kid the best home. You're doing a great job, all she wants is to be loved and you two are doing that just fine. Everything else, you'll work out one step at a time." Hank responded patting him on the shoulder.

"Go see you're kid Jay, she needs you." Hank said and Jay nodded walking back towards the break room.

"Thanks Sarge."

"Anytime." Hank responded as Jay walked into the break room.

"Hey..." Jay started in a concerned tone.

"I'm sorry Jay, I tried I really did. I tried to be calm and stay out of trouble but Raffy got suspended because of me." She said and gasped for breath a little as she cried. Jay pulled up and sat down on a chair opposite where she was sat on the couch. He leant down a little to make eye contact with her so he could try and calm her down.