Chapter 12 - Gray Clouds.

"Hey guys." Gracie said in a good mood strolling out of her room and into the kitchen. "Ready to go get em' I've been thinking about my backhand and I think I'm gonna try and angle myself more this way so I can just hit the ball at a better spot you know? I think it will give me the space I need to get it safely in the box, so I can try and avoid losing any points." Gracie explained eagerly.

"Gracie, honey can you come and sit down for a minute?" Hailey asked. Her eagerness and happiness for her upcoming game was making it even harder to have to do this. Hailey hated the thought of making her sad again.

"Is everything ok?" Gracie asked noting that their facial expressions were a little different than they had been last night when they were talking about the game.

"Uh..." Hailey hesitated unsure how to begin the conversation.

"Gracie, I got a phone call early this morning and it was your Grandma's home." Jay began to explain.

"Is she ok? Does she need anything?" Gracie asked and Jay continued.

"I got the call because they went in this morning to go wake her up for her morning meds...I'm sorry Gracie but she didn't wake up." He explained.

"She passed away last night honey." Hailey reiterated making sure she had understood what was said.

"You're lying! Everyone lies to me! She's not gone, she can't be gone! We only saw her yesterday she was fine! She was fine!" Gracie said distraughtly tears immediately coming into her eyes.

"Gracie..." Hailey said gently trying to comfort her.

"No i gotta go, I gotta go." Gracie said picking up her phone and some money out of her wallet and putting it into her zip jacket pocket.

"Wait, Gracie..." Jay said and him and Hailey followed the teen who ran out of the door of the apartment and out of the building onto the sidewalk.

Despite how fast Jay and Hailey were from having to chase offenders everyday, they had started a little later than Gracie so were still a few paces behind.

"Gracie!" Jay yelled from behind in concern.

"Grace stop!" Hailey shouted as they tried to catch her up.

"She's gone honey." Hailey said voice still raised so Gracie could hear but they had closed the gap a little.

Gracie was suddenly out of breath her lungs burning from crying and running out on the street. She collapsed onto her hands and knees skidding slightly on the concrete sidewalk. She shook a little as she sobbed, tears running down her face.

"Hey, hey are you ok did you hurt yourself?" Jay said kneeling down in front of her and gently taking her hands in his. He turned her palms to face him, having seen them skid along the harsh concrete. There were a few cuts but nothing major, he put is hand between the side of her neck and face, his thumb stroking her cheek comfortingly.

"She's gone Jay." Gracie said tearfully as if she had a moment of realisation.

"Yeah honey she is and I'm really sorry about that." Jay responded softly, by this point Hailey had kneeled beside her and pulled her into a hug. The teen closed her eyes for a second in disbelief, tears continued to roll down her face she turned and sobbed into Hailey's embrace.

————————————————————————

Hailey and Jay had gotten Gracie back to the apartment.