Chapter 8 - Back to school Blues

Hey guys sorry for the wait on this one, I have mixed feelings on this chapter it's definitely not my best. I have been struggling with it all week and now I have finally finished it. Hope it doesn't disappoint, it should pick up again next chapter. Thanks for all your support and thanks for reading!

"Hey come on kid, eat up we're leaving in ten."  Jay said as he walked back into the kitchen area in their apartment, to make himself some breakfast after getting ready for work.

He frowned, when he got closer to the table and saw Gracie's miserable expression as she pushed around the Cheerios in her bowl, not eating.

"What's going on Grace? You gotta eat something kiddo, you got school today you need the energy." Jay reminded her gently, filling his cup with coffee, pouring a bowl of granola and sitting down next to her.

"Do I have to go back today?" Gracie said in a quiet tone looking nervous.

"Yeah, you do I'm sorry Gracie. It's been a couple of weeks since we found you at the park and now that you're getting a lot better it's important you go back so you don't fall far behind." Jay explained, he knew he and Hailey were right to put her back in school but they did feel bad for Gracie.

"You gonna eat something honey?" Hailey said equally as gentle and encouraging as Jay sitting inbetween them on another chair.

"No, thanks I'm not hungry." Gracie mumbled a little and she put her cereal bowl away quickly before walking back into her room to go get her stuff.

Hailey and Jay exchanged concerned looks for Gracie. This kid had been through a ton of scary stuff but she seemed most intimidated by going back to school.

"Hey chin up kid, once schools over for today we have the Blackhawks tonight." Jay said patting her on the head lightly as Gracie came back out of her room five minutes later.

She was wearing her backpack and the same expression on her face, but when Jay mentioned the hockey she smiled slightly and nodded trying to put school out of her head and focus on the night she was gonna have after.

"Come on Gracie, let's roll." Jay said picking up his car keys and badge off of the top of the dresser by the door. Gracie reluctantly followed Jay and Hailey out into the car, so much so that they had thought they'd seen offenders less reluctant to get into the car than she was.

Gracie was silent throughout the entire journey her earbuds plugged into her iPod trying to drown out the sound of her heart beating that little bit faster than usual from her nerves.

"It will be fine alright, we'll be a phone call away if there's any problems and we'll be back to pick you up later ok?" Hailey reminded her as they approached the school. She wasn't sure what else to say to Gracie to try and get her to go into the school as calm as possible. She looked at Jay who smiled and tried to help.

"Hey remember what we talked about last night when you were worried about it?" Jay asked and Gracie nodded gently.

"Concentrate on breathing when I get stressed out and keep these in whilst I'm out in the halls and outside." Gracie said with a slight smile in response looking down at her hands that were holding her iPod shuffle mp3 and earbuds that her Mom gave her as a birthday present when she was a ten.

"Ok great and rule number three?" Jay said and Gracie looked a little confused. "No Justin Bieber." Jay said which made Gracie smirk a bit and Hailey hit his arm.

"Jay!" She said as she lightly swatted his arm with her hand.

"Ouch!" Jay said faking pain, rubbing his 'sore' arm whilst smirking a little at Hailey's response. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding." He said holding his hands up to Hailey in mock surrender and then turning and sharing a joking smile with Gracie who smiled back at Jay just as amused by Hailey's response.