Chapter 15 - Goodbye

So..." Jay said as they walked out of the apartment building to go and get the car from the parking lot. "There were a few other people that wanted to come and support you and your Grandma." Jay said

As they exited there building they saw Will, Nat and the whole of intelligence all there in their best black suits and dresses waiting for them to leave.

"We heard that one of our own wanted to give there Grandma a good send off, so we wanted to come and help if that's ok with you?"

"I don't know what to say...thank you." Gracie said to all of them who smiled back at her.

"You ready to go?" Jay said with his hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah." She responded with a slight smile back at Jay.

An hour later the service was nearing its end and it was Gracie's turn to speak.

"Now the family member that will be saying a few words about Elsie today will be her Granddaughter Gracie. Gracie do you want to come on up here?" The Pastor asked and Gracie nodded getting up to do her speech.

She cleared her through and stood behind the podium with the microphone on, getting ready to speak.

"Thank you Pastor..." She started and he nodded in response with an encouraging smile.

"First of all I want to thank everyone for coming today. My Grandma, or as most of you will know her Elsie Miller was a wonderful person, Grandma and Mother. She took me in at one of the most difficult times in mine and her life and from then on she dedicated her life to making sure I felt happy...and safe. She managed to take the most dark, difficult challenges, events and situations in life and prove that there will always be a silver lining. After my Mom died we spent time looking at the stars together, we used to talk to the all the people we'd lost. Mom and Grandma's parents, friends. From now on when it's dark and the stars come out and I look at the sky I'll always see her, I'll see her and remember her good heart and her silver linings. My Grandma has a legacy that I hope people will never forget, because I know I won't. Grandma, I love you and I miss you, I want you to know I'm safe and I've been given the chance to have a family again and I really hope I do you proud because you sure did us proud. Once again I just want to say how grateful I am and how grateful Grandma would have been to everyone for coming I hope you can join us for the wake that will be held just across the hall, thank you."

She ended her speech and looked up seeing her Jay and Hailey, Nat and Will and the intelligence team all wearing smiles of pride on their faces some of them had tears in their eyes like her but she knew for the first time that she could start again her Grandma was at peace and she could start over.

Later towards the end of the wake Gracie was stood amongst the others in Molly's, close to Adam and Kim. Adam put a hand on her shoulder turning to her. "You sure are one brave son of a bitch you know that?" He said earning a light slap on the arm from Kim and a grateful smile from Gracie.

"Adam! Language." Kim scolded lightly before changing her expression to a smile. "I do agree with you though." She added and they all smiled and chuckled a little.

"Thanks." Gracie said still wearing the smirk on her face from Adam's

"That speech sure was something kiddo." Kev said holding out his fist for Gracie to fist bump him which she did and then he pulled her into a quick side hug.

"It was beautiful Gracie." Nat added stood beside Will their arms looped around each other's.

"It was. Couldn't have been a better tribute Grace." Will said.

"Thanks guys." Gracie responded and then walked towards Jay and Hailey who were talking between themselves before they turned to speak to Gracie who they saw coming towards them.

"Hey you ok?" Hailey asked as she approached them.

"Thank you...both of you, for everything." She started and Jay and Hailey just sat and listened. "When I lived at home I knew...I knew that one day my Grandma would pass away, but I always thought I'd hardly see her before she died or that I'd never be able to tell her that I had a chance...that I was safe. And I know she didn't get it half the time because she was sick but I'm just glad I got a chance to tell her that I was with you guys and that I was ok."

"We wouldn't have had it any other way Gracie. We love you kid." Jay said in response.

"We're so proud of you Gracie." Hailey said hugged the teen. Jay wrapped an arm around his family they stood in the embrace for a few seconds before Jay moved slightly.

"Hey anyone want another drink?" Jay asked.

"I'm good thanks." Gracie responded.

"Hailey?"

"Just the same again please, thanks Jay." Hailey said picking up her glass in her hand to show what she meant.

"Hey Hank." Gracie said noticing her family friend and foster parents boss approaching them.

"Hey, you got a sec to talk?" Voight asked Gracie in a friendly tone.

"Sure I'll be back in a minute?" Gracie said to Hailey.

Hailey nodded in agreement with a familiar kind, nurturing smile. "Take your time honey I'll be with Jay at the bar ok?" Hailey said and Gracie nodded and followed Hank over to another corner in the bar.

"Tough day huh?" Hank said with a slight sympathetic smile.

"Yeah." Gracie admitted quietly.

"Look I just wanted to say that I didn't know your Grandma Gracie but I'm sure you would have done her very proud today. I know lots have people may have told you this already but I just wanted to remind you that you've gained a big family here. And I know that it will never cure the pain of losing your Mom and your Grandma, but just know that we're all here for you and you're not alone."

"Thanks Hank." Gracie said tears beginning to form in her eyes.

"Anytime kid." Hank said giving her a supportive hug before patting her on the shoulder and walking her back over to Jay and Hailey.

Gracie managed to hold back the tears and smiled at her foster parents.

"Everything ok?" Hailey said and Gracie nodded with a smile on her face.

"Yeah." Gracie responded looking around at her friends and family.

"You ready to go home kiddo?" Jay asked.

"Yeah, I think so."

That's it everyone! Sorry it's so late as usual I've had so much writers block and been really busy. That is the end of this story I know it's not as long as some of the previous ones I have written but I'd really want to continue the rest of this story into a sequel so I can separate the different stages of Gracie's life out better. So it's not a goodbye just a see you later. As soon as the sequel is ready I will add an update saying that it is out on this story.

Thank you so much for you're support with the first instalment of the life of Gracie Jenkins! I look forward to sharing the second book with you all! :)