Chapter 2 - Home

2 weeks later.

"Gracie Jenkins get your lazy ass down here right now." Grace's Dad said as Gracie was getting her backpack ready for school.

"What's up Dad?" Gracie said making her way down the stairs knowing that whatever it was she was going to get it some how.

"Where's all the food gone? I told you to go pick up the groceries the other day?" Her Dad said.

"That was all the money I had left, you used the rest on booze and pills." Gracie said frankly.

"Hey!" Carl, her Dad said grabbing her by the neck of her shirt and pushing her against a wall. "Don't get smart with me. This place is a dump and we got no money.

"Then fix yourself up and go make some!" Gracie said suddenly getting fed up of being yelled at, all her life was was being picked on at school, earning money working at a store down the street for it to then be all wasted on her father's habits.

"That's it you stupid bitch!" Carl yelled and hit her across the face causing her to fall to the floor, he kicked her a few times in the abdomen as she fell causing her to cry out.

"Ah, ah Dad please stop, please!" She begged in pain. Carl kneeled down on the floor beside her and grabbed the neck of her shirt, pulling her closer towards him.

"Don't you ever talk back to me like that again, ever you understand?!" Carl said sinisterly.

Gracie breathed heavily panicked and in pain and didn't respond to Carl initially.

"I said do you understand!" Carl yelled louder making Gracie flinch away, as much as she could whilst still in his grip.

"Yes Sir." Gracie said gritting her teeth, strongly in response with her head held high determined that he wouldn't break her.

The next morning Gracie woke up in her bed with the feeling of pain instantly rushing through her body. Her abdomen and ribs were covered in deep red bruises and swollen. There was dried blood on her lip and a bruise that had formed from where he had hit her across the face.

Gracie turned to grab her phone and scrolled through her contacts to find her best friend's name.

"Hey."

"Raff its Gracie I need a ride, can you meet me normal place in 20 minutes?" Gracie said trying to keep it together. She knew Raffy would notice as soon as he turned up but she didn't have a choice.

She had overslept and didn't have enough time to walk, money was more tight than ever this month and she didn't have enough left to cover subway journeys and her food for the next few days so she called Raff.

Once she had gotten dressed and ready for the rest of the day she crept downstairs trying not to wake her Father. He usually slept in till later so she'd be able to avoid him.

As she was walking out he stepped in front of her pushing her against a wall to the side of them.

"Where d'you think your going?" Carl slurred, he'd been drinking again.

"School. You think you should be more careful it's like 7am you're gonna drink yourself to death." Gracie said hardly being able to look at him.

Carl got angrier and grabbed her arm twisting it behind her. "Listen here you little bitch you be late home after school and I'll break this arm. Understand?"

Gracie just nodded with tears in her eyes and a scowl on her face.

"Go." Carl said and let go off her arm.

Gracie picked up her backpack, which had fallen out of her hand when Carl grabbed her and she ran out of the house.

After walking around the street corner she saw Raffy in his car waiting for her. She opened the door and got in.

"Hey how's it going?..." Raffy said and then paused when he saw her face. "He do this?!" Raff continued more than annoyed. Gracie nodded knowing he wouldn't stop asking otherwise. "That son of a bitch!"

"Raff..." Gracie said trying to calm her friend down.

"No Grace, you can't let him do this to you anymore. We're gonna go to the cops." Raffy said in response.

"Raff please...i don't need this right now ok? I'll report it eventually but I can't right now alright? Please can we just go to school. If I'm late again Miss Harper will start to suspect something's wrong." Gracie said in response.

"Yeah well maybe she should." Raffy said fed up of seeing his best friend getting beaten like this.

"Raff stop! You know how bad it was in foster care when my Grandma was in the hospital. The fact I was almost raped, the beatings, being locked in rooms. I can't go through that again!" Gracie yelled as Raff drove.

"What so what you're really telling me Grace, that the only thing that's better is the fact your father doesn't sexually abuse you too. Because he definitely does all those other things you mentioned." Raffy said.

"Raff please listen to me. Getting beaten by strangers in a home I don't know, on some random street I don't know is way worse than being beaten in my own home where my own things are and where I know places I can escape to." Gracie explained. "Please Raff..." She repeated emotionally with tears in her eyes.

Raffy paused before speaking again.

"Fine, I'll leave it, but you've gotta have a plan Gracie because if you don't get out soon, I will call the cops. He's gonna kill you one day." Raff said and Gracie just nodded.

"Thanks Raffy." Gracie said grateful that he wasn't going to the cops on that day.

They pulled up outside the school. Raffy parked and they both went in.

The day itself was hell. Gracie spent the entire day trying to make sure she wasn't caught out by any teachers. She had put on as much make up as she could to cover the visible bruise on her face, but it's mid-winter break after today which was good and bad, bad because her only escape is in school but good because she didn't have to hide what was really going on at least for a short while.

Raff pulled up around the corner as he always did when she got a ride from him.

"Are you gonna be ok? You know I'm going on vacation with my family cause its mid-winter break so I won't be around here. " Raffy said before she walked back to her house.

"I'll be fine Raff, have a good time ok? Don't worry about me. Thanks for the rides." Gracie said and got out to walk down the street back to her house.

Gracie walked into the house and into the kitchen about to look for something to eat. He saw his Father stood by the kitchen counter, his hand by a glass.

"Where are the goddamn groceries?" He said quietly but sinisterly.

"What?" Gracie said nervously in response.

"Where are the goddamn groceries?!" He repeated in a raised, intimidating tone and threw the glass across the room causing it to smash near Gracie on a wall.

"You told me to come straight home and like we talked about last night, we're running out of money bad. We can only eat what's left in the cabinets." Gracie explained.

Carl walked towards her and punched her in the eye.

"You're useless! Get your stuff and get outta here. I mean it get outta here right now! You can forget about living here I'm done with you, you little brat." Carl yelled as Gracie had her hand over her eye crying.

When he stepped away from her she ran upstairs to get her stuff she needed to leave.

"You got 5 minutes, otherwise I'll throw you out myself." Carl threatened at the bottom of the stairs.

Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed this update will update again soon! :)