Kaitlyn's POV

As I was searching for Max, I decided to think more about the prophecy. I was hiding my fear from Tiffany and James to look strong since I was the eldest of them both. I was TERRIFIED. Another quest? And one without my boyfriend? How was this gonna turn out? I groaned to myself. "Kait, what are you THINKING?" I asked myself.

I found the Hecate child near the lake with some of his siblings. He was turning them into... wolves? Oh... how interesting... I went up to him and rested my hand on his shoulder. "Hey, babe," I said to him sweetly.

He turned around startled. He relaxed when he realized it was me. He turned to his siblings and turned them back into humans. "Hey, Kaitlyn!"

I smiled at him nervously. "Um, can we talk?"

I pulled him aside, far from anyone else. "Max... I'm going on another quest."

He looked shocked. "Oh. With who?"

"Tiff."

"Oh, sweet! So I'm guessing she wanted you to ask me if I want to come? I'm in!"

I pursed my lips. My poor boyfriend thought he was going with us! I looked at my palm and started picking at it. "Uh, actually, you're not coming with us... sorry."

He frowned. "Oh. So who's going with you?"

"James. Uh, James Wilson."

"Oh."

I took his hand. "Babe, I wish you could come with us. But the prophecy said something about a hammer, and the hammer is one of his father's symbols, so I think that means we have to get a Hephaestus kid on the quest, and we're friends with James already, so it's a perfect match."

He shook his head. "My spitfire going on a quest without me? It's dangerous, babe."

Tears rimmed my eyes. "I'm so sorry, Max. I really hoped if we ever did another quest, it'd be together."

"Kaitlyn, we said that we would go on no more quests. Ever. We wanted to have a peaceful life."

"Max, you know that would never come true. There's ALWAYS a world to save. Are you okay with this?"

"No. But you don't care about that. You'll go no matter what I say, won't you?"

I nodded grimly. I kissed him on the cheek. "I'm going to go prepare. Can I borrow that weightless backpack you enchanted?"

He gave me a brief smile. "Y-yeah. I'll be at your cabin in a few minutes while I find it."

He turned and walked away, running his fingers through his blonde hair. I felt bad. He loved me, and he wanted to keep me safe. US safe. A tear fell from my eye, and I quickly wiped it away and just trudged to the Aphrodite cabin.

The next evening

I was packed and ready for the quest. I just wore a white solid cropped cami tank top and gray sweatpants with drawstrings. I didn't like wearing armor as it was too bulky for my liking. I put my hair in a bun with a claw clip to keep it back and out of my face. In my bag, I had two large flasks: one filled with nectar and one with ice cold water. I had extra clothing just in case, which was just a white button up cropped tank top and some darker gray drawstring sweatpants. I had a ziplock bag of ambrosia just in case. I had other necessities, such as chapstick and drachmas. I looked at myself in the mirror and took a deep breath. I went outside to where our pegasi were. I gave James my backpack, as he offered to carry it. "Thanks," I muttered to him.

I scanned the area around us until my eyes landed on Max. I walked over to him, where he was holding a ball of purple magic in his hands. I stood in front of him. "I'm ready," I announced.

The magic disappeared and he hung his head. He stood up and looked me in the eye. "I'm not happy about this," he said seriously.

"Well, I'm needed now," I reasoned with him.

"She shouldn't need you. She knows you were trying to leave the life behind."

"Don't blame Tiffany. The decision was mine." His hands wrapped around both of mine. I kissed him romantically. "Babe, you're freaking out over nothing. What could go wrong?"

He looked at me sadly. He hugged me one last time before we took off. I pulled away, smiled at him, and jogged to my friends. I gave them a grin. "Let's go."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Yes, I am aware that some of the dialogue is from DC's superhero show Young Justice, but in the last fanfic it stated that Kaitlyn was a fan of superheroes and especially Wally West, AKA Kid Flash, so I thought I could sneak in some of this hehe. Hope you don't mind :)